Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To Engineering Students

  1. Jul 15, 2008 #1
    Hi Guys!!!

    These are some questions for engineering students, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering in particular.

    What kind of engineers do work on turbines in Power Stations etc..?

    I’ve seen quality control engineers inspecting the fan assembly of turbines etc.. , What discipline of engineering do they study for this? Mechanical?

    What about the engineers who work primarily with Aircraft Turbines? Did they study mechanical OR aeronautics/astronautics engineering?

    What sub-disciplines of Physics do we need to study for any of those above ie. Mechanics, fluid dynamics, or thermodynamics.....?

    I’m in the middle of my bach degree in applied math, but I have become quite taken with the idea of studying engineering for my master’s.
    But I have decided I want to do something less theoretical, i.e. something employable outside of a university environment, in the industry.

    I'm getting old & still confused.

    If for my bachelor, I have an honorary degree in applied mathematics, can I proceed to a Master’s degree in Engineering OR do I need to complete a bachelor of engineering first???

  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2008 #2
    First off I would do applied mechanics. But, and it's a big one, it depends on what you want to model on the turbine? The fuel efficiency is mech or chem engineering. The construction of one is mech eng a.s.o. Define the aspect first. But a strong background in the FEM-method would be a good place to start.

    I postulate that you need to do a couple of pre-courses before starting the masters, then you're probably more ready than those who studied a bachelors.
  4. Jul 17, 2008 #3
    I have just graduated with my bachelor in mechanical engineering degree, so I hope to tell you what I know, which might not be 100% correct though.

    I have done an internship at a thermal power plant. Regarding turbines in power plant, quite obviously, mechanical engineers are responsible for them, from design, manufacture to maintenance or quality control. (I am wondering if material engineers will join in these quality control too...)

    For aircraft turbines, of course aeronautics/astrnautics engineering will be very relevant, and mechanical engineering is also relevant as well. Afterall, aeronautics/astraonautics engineersing can be considered as branches of mechanical engineering....
    So, I think there would be both mechanical engineers and aero-engineers taking care of the aircraft turbines? In my country, there is no degress about aero- stuff, but just mechanical engineering, since no aero- industry here. But some of my classmates gradauted and worked in aircraft engines maintenance companies...But I am not sure what the situation is in the US.

    For the physics you need to work with turbines, to my limited knowledge, I will say:
    Yes.. mechanics of fluids for sure, thermodynamics for sure and perhaps you need to have some knowledge in material science and engineering as well. Afterall, turbines are made up of materials and this is a great concern to engineers since the material will "deterioate"...you should know things like "fatigue", "cracking" etc...
    A little bit of mechanical design knowldege might be helpful as well...
    If you are working with pure mechanical turbines, the above are things you need, I think.
    If you are going to deal with electrical stuff, knowldege about control engineering and electrical & electronics engineering will be necessary.

    That's what I know. Waiting for some body more qualified to correct.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook