1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To find tenstion in the string

1. Dec 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two blocks of equal mass m are tied to each other through a light string. One of the blocks is pulled along the line joining them with a constant force F. Find the tension in the string joining the blocks.

2. Relevant equations

I tried doing this by this method.
    (I don't know how to draw free body diagram here. It is just two bodies connected by string)
    I got
    F+T=ma
    F-T=2ma

Hence, F=3ma/2
    I got T=F/3
    But the answer given at the back is F/2

Can someone help me with this?
    Where am I going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2014 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You really need to draw a free-body diagram. You have the "front" block that has a force [itex]F[/itex] pulling it in one direction and a force [itex]T[/itex] pulling it in the opposite direction. You have the "rear" block that only has a force [itex]T[/itex] pulling it. The accelerations are the same. So just apply [itex]F_{total} = m a[/itex] for each block separately.

4. Dec 12, 2014 #3
    I did draw a free body diagram. I don't know how to draw it here. Is there some way where I can upload it?
    I will do it again.
    Thanks

5. Dec 12, 2014 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, that's okay. Just write down "F = ma" for each block. Remember that the front block has two forces acting on it--whatever is pulling the blocks (force "F") and the tension ("T", acting in the opposite direction) The second block only has "T" acting on it. So write down your two F=ma equations and post them.

6. Dec 13, 2014 #5
    I got it.
    Thank you.
    I made the mistake of including F even for the second block

System: Second Block(behind)
    T=ma
    System: First Block(Front)
    F-T=ma
    F=ma+T
    F=2ma
    F/2=ma
    Hence, T=F/2

Thanks, again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted