Finding Horizontal Speed of Electron in Electric Field

In summary, the conversation is about finding the horizontal velocity of an electron entering an electric field at an angle. The solution involves using the equation "sinθ/cosθ = tanθ" and understanding basic trigonometric formulas. The equation can be useful in finding the angle when given the magnitude of the horizontal and vertical components of a force.
Amahia11

Homework Statement

So if an electron enters an electric field (between two charged parallel plates) at an angle (i.e not parallel to the x axis) and knowing that the speed is, say, 5 x 10^6 m/s, how would you find the HORIZONTAL velocity of the electron?

you know that horizontaly it must be (5 x 10^6)cos(theta) and that vertically it must therefore be (5 x 10^6)sin(theta) but how would you find the horizontal velocity?

please help, very appreciated! :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it might help knowing that sin(theta)/cos(theta) = tan(theta) ?
But no idea how to find the horizontal speed...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Amahia11 ! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

I don't understand … what are the unkowns, and what is given? :confused:

If 5 x 106 and θ are both given, then it's just 5 x 106 cosθ. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Amahia11 ! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

I don't understand … what are the unkowns, and what is given? :confused:

If 5 x 106 and θ are both given, then it's just 5 x 106 cosθ. :smile:

hi tiny-tim! thanks for the tips! :D

Ok, basically my physics exam on particle dynamics in electric fields is next week and my teacher told us to remember that sinθ/cosθ=tanθ (something which we btw never used in class)

now i understand (you're right) that the horizontal component will be 5 x 196cosθ but my question is how could you use the equation "sinθ/cosθ=tanθ"? I'm just trying to figure out how that could be useful in anyway... any ideas?

(sorry my initial post was quite unclear and vague!)

Hi Amahia11! :smile:
Amahia11 said:
Ok, basically my physics exam on particle dynamics in electric fields is next week and my teacher told us to remember that sinθ/cosθ=tanθ (something which we btw never used in class)

…but my question is how could you use the equation "sinθ/cosθ=tanθ"? I'm just trying to figure out how that could be useful in anyway... any ideas?

ahhh …

yes, you will find tan = sin/cos useful, not when you're given the angle, but when you want to find it …

for example, if you know that the horizontal component of a force is 13, and the vertical component is 10, then the magnitude will be √(100 + 169), and the angle from the horizontal will have tan = 10/13 :wink:

btw, you should at some stage be learning the basic trigonometric formulas:

cos = adj/hyp
sin = opp/hyp
tan = opp/adj
(that's adjacent, opposite, hypotneuse :wink:)​

To find the horizontal velocity of the electron, you can use the equation v = v0 + at, where v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, the initial horizontal velocity is (5 x 10^6)cos(theta) and the acceleration is 0, since there is no force acting on the electron in the horizontal direction. Therefore, the horizontal velocity remains constant and is equal to (5 x 10^6)cos(theta).

1. What is the formula for finding the horizontal speed of an electron in an electric field?

The formula for finding the horizontal speed of an electron in an electric field is v = √(2qV/m), where v is the horizontal speed, q is the charge of the electron, V is the potential difference, and m is the mass of the electron.

2. How does the electric field affect the horizontal speed of an electron?

The electric field causes a force on the electron, which accelerates it in the direction of the field. This acceleration increases the horizontal speed of the electron.

3. Can the horizontal speed of an electron in an electric field be negative?

Yes, the horizontal speed of an electron in an electric field can be negative. This would indicate that the electron is moving in the opposite direction of the electric field.

4. Is the horizontal speed of an electron constant in an electric field?

No, the horizontal speed of an electron is not constant in an electric field. It increases as the electron moves towards the positive plate and decreases as it moves towards the negative plate.

5. How can the horizontal speed of an electron in an electric field be measured?

The horizontal speed of an electron in an electric field can be measured using a variety of techniques such as time-of-flight measurements, velocity selectors, or beam deflection methods.