To find the magnitude of the resultant of forces around a triangle

In summary, the conversation involves a question about finding the ratios of forces P, Q, and R acting along the directed sides of a right-angled triangle ABC. Part a) of the question has been solved, giving the ratios P:Q:R as 4:3:5 if their resultant is a couple. Part b) asks to find the magnitude of the resultant of the new system after the force along AC is reversed. The solution involves using the ratios from part a) and taking moments about points A, B, and C to solve for the resultant. The final answer is given as 35P/12, although there is some confusion as to where this solution came from.
gnits
Homework Statement
To find the magnitude of the resultant of forces around a triangle
Relevant Equations
Resolving forces and calculating moments
Could I please ask for advice with the following:

ABC is a right-angled triangle in which AB = 4a; BC = 3a. Forces of magnitudes P, Q and R act along the directed sides AB, BC and CA respectively.

a) Find the ratios P:Q:R if their resultant is a couple.
b) If the force along the directed line AC is now reversed, find in terms of P the magnitude of the resultant of the new system.

Part a) is done (with the help of others on this forum) but I'm stuck on part b)

Book abswer is: 35P/12

Here's my working:

triangle.png

In the diagram F is the resultant. I assume it's line of action to pass through (0, 4a + y').

Hypotenuse = 5a

cos(z) = 3/5
sin(z) = 4/5

Resolving horizontally:
Q + 3R/5 = X

Resolving vertically:
P + 4R/5 + Y

So I need to calculate sqrt(X^2 + Y^2) in terms of P only, so ideally I would replace R and Q with equivalents in terms of P.

Taking moments about A:
4aQ=-Xy'

Taking moments about B:
-3R/5*4a = -X(4a+y')

which gives:

12Ra/5 = X(4a+y')

Taking moments about C:

3aP=-X(4a+y')

EDIT. I see that my moments about C are wrong, I failed to take into account the moment of Y about this point. Am continuing to work on this. Should be 3aP = -X(4a+y') - 3aY. Still leads me to R = -5P/4

These last two lead to R = -15P/12 = -5P/4

So I have R in terms of P but I still need Q in terms of P and this I can't see how to do. I tried moments about D but all derived relationships lead me to 0 = 0.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't seem to be using the ratios of the forces you found in the first part.
I don't think taking moments in the second part will be helpful.

But aren't those ratios predicated on the assumption that the resultant is a couple? The phrasing of the second part doesn't suggest to me that I can assume a resultant couple now that the force along AC has been reversed.

EDIT: Ok I see that the result about the ratio of P, Q, and R is indeed still valid as R still has the same magnitude because it has only had it's direction reversed.

So I still have P/Q = 4/3 and Q/R = 3/5
(because the answer to part a) is that P : Q : R = 4 : 3 : 5)

Proceeding as before:

Resolving horizontally:
Q + 3R/5 = X

Resolving vertically:
P + 4R/5 + Y

But now I know that Q = 3P/4 and R = 5Q/3 and so R = 5P/4

This gives 3P/4 + 3P/4 = X and so X = 3P/2

and P + P = Y and so Y = 2P

and so magnitude of resultant = sqrt(X^2 + Y^2) = sqrt(9P^2/4 + 4P^2) = sqrt(9P^2/4 + 16P^2/4) = 5P/2

Which is not equal to book answer of 35P/12

Thanks for any verification,
Mitch.

Last edited:
gnits said:
But aren't those ratios predicated on the assumption that the resultant is a couple? The phrasing of the second part doesn't suggest to me that I can assume a resultant couple now that the force along AC has been reversed.

EDIT: Ok I see that the result about the ratio of P, Q, and R is indeed still valid as R still has the same magnitude because it has only had it's direction reversed.

So I still have P/Q = 4/3 and Q/R = 3/5
(because the answer to part a) is that P : Q : R = 4 : 3 : 5)

Proceeding as before:

Resolving horizontally:
Q + 3R/5 = X

Resolving vertically:
P + 4R/5 + Y

But now I know that Q = 3P/4 and R = 5Q/3 and so R = 5P/4

This gives 3P/4 + 3P/4 = X and so X = 3P/2

and P + P = Y and so Y = 2P

and so magnitude of resultant = sqrt(X^2 + Y^2) = sqrt(9P^2/4 + 4P^2) = sqrt(9P^2/4 + 16P^2/4) = 5P/2

Which is not equal to book answer of 35P/12

Thanks for any verification,
Mitch.
There is a slightly easier way. Since the net force was zero, reversing R must lead to a net force of 2R=5P/2.
I have no idea where 35P/12 could come from.

haruspex said:
There is a slightly easier way. Since the net force was zero, reversing R must lead to a net force of 2R=5P/2.
I have no idea where 35P/12 could come from.

Thanks very much for your reply and confirmation of the answer,

Mitch.

1. What is the formula for finding the magnitude of the resultant of forces around a triangle?

The formula for finding the magnitude of the resultant of forces around a triangle is the square root of the sum of the squares of the three forces. This is also known as the Pythagorean theorem.

2. How do I determine the direction of the resultant force in a triangle?

The direction of the resultant force in a triangle can be determined by using the law of cosines. This involves finding the cosine of the angle opposite the unknown force and using it to calculate the direction.

3. Can the magnitude of the resultant force be greater than the sum of the individual forces?

Yes, the magnitude of the resultant force can be greater than the sum of the individual forces. This occurs when the forces are not acting in the same direction and the resultant force is the diagonal of a parallelogram formed by the individual forces.

4. What is the importance of finding the magnitude of the resultant force in a triangle?

Finding the magnitude of the resultant force in a triangle is important because it helps determine the overall effect of the forces on an object. It can also be used to calculate the acceleration or movement of an object in response to these forces.

5. Can the resultant force in a triangle be zero?

Yes, the resultant force in a triangle can be zero if the three forces are balanced and cancel each other out. This means that the object will not experience any acceleration or movement in response to these forces.