To find the time to nearest appoach of a dinghy and a buoy

In summary, the author calculated the time it would take for a boat to travel from one side of an exclusion zone to the other, assuming it traveled at full speed. The time required was found to be 50√17 seconds.
gnits
Homework Statement
To find the time to nearest appoach of a dinghy and a buoy
Relevant Equations
d=st
Can anyone please help me see if my reasoning is correct regarding the following question?

dinghy.JPG

I'll just solve for the case where the dinghy tracks so as to just 'touch' the exclusion zone on the 'high' side

So, in the diagram below:

dinghy2.JPG

The dinghy tracks along the red path, inclined at x degrees to 'east'. In order to achieve this in the face of the current it will have to point in the direction of the orange line, inclined at y degress to 'east'

In the triangle we know the length of the black side is 200 and so we can calculate the length of the red side (from A to point of closest approach) as the triangle is a right triangle, this gives the red side of the trianlge a length of 50√17 and the angle in the triangle at A works out at atan(1/4) = 14.04 degrees.

Therefore x = 30 + 14.04 = 44.04

So from this we can say that if the boat were to set off along the orange line at full speed then it would be pushed back along the red line by the current, this would give: (let i and j be unit vectors in the direction east and north respectively and V the veclocity of the dinghy along the red track)

4 cos(y) i + 4 sin(y) j - (3/2) j = V cos (44.04) i + V sin (44.04) j

Equating i and j components gives:

4 cos(y) = V cos (44.04)

and

4 sin(y) - (3/2) = V sin(44.04)

So now I can eliminate cos(y) and sin(y) using sin^2 + cos^2 = 1 to solve for V, which comes out as V = 3.6226 and so the time required is 50√17/3.6226 = 57 seconds.

I can repeat this for the 'lower' side of the exclusion zone and it's all the same except that now x = 30 - 14.04 = 15.96 and this leads to V = 4.1 and so t = 50√17/4.1 = 50 seconds.

(The answers given in the book are 69 and 58 seconds)

Thanks for any help,
Mitch.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Mitch.

Make sure you identify correctly which side of the right triangle is the hypotenuse.

Thanks very much. That was indeed my mistake. I made it each time I tried to solve the problem. Thanks again, Mitch.

Likes TSny

1. How do you calculate the time to the nearest approach of a dinghy and a buoy?

The time to the nearest approach of a dinghy and a buoy can be calculated by using the distance formula, which takes into account the speed and direction of both objects. This calculation can be done using a mathematical equation or with the help of a simulation software.

2. What factors affect the time to the nearest approach of a dinghy and a buoy?

The time to the nearest approach of a dinghy and a buoy can be affected by various factors such as the speed and direction of both objects, the distance between them, any external forces acting on the objects, and any changes in these factors over time.

3. How accurate is the calculation of the time to the nearest approach of a dinghy and a buoy?

The accuracy of the calculation of the time to the nearest approach of a dinghy and a buoy depends on the accuracy of the input data and the precision of the calculation method used. It is important to use reliable and accurate data to get a more precise result.

4. Can the time to the nearest approach of a dinghy and a buoy be predicted?

Yes, the time to the nearest approach of a dinghy and a buoy can be predicted by using mathematical models and simulations. These predictions can be made by taking into account the initial conditions and any changes in factors that may affect the objects' movements.

5. How can the time to the nearest approach of a dinghy and a buoy be used in real-life scenarios?

The time to the nearest approach of a dinghy and a buoy can be used in various real-life scenarios, such as navigation, collision avoidance, and search and rescue operations. It can also be used to study the behavior of objects in motion and make predictions for future movements.