To find the velocity of the particle

In summary, a metal sphere with a radius of 0.10m and a positive charge of 1.0 x 10^-4C attracts a particle with a mass of 2.0 x 10^-5kg and a negative charge of 1.5 x 10^-10C from rest at a distance of 1.0m from the center of the sphere. Using the equation for conservation of energy, the velocity of the particle when it strikes the surface of the sphere is calculated to be 3.87m/s. This method is correct, but it is important to use the correct distance in the potential energy equation, which in this case is from 1.0m to 0.10m
Clari
A metal sphere of radius 0.10m carries a positive charge of [tex] 1.0 x 10^{-4}C[/tex]. A particle of mass [tex] 2.0 x 10^{-5}kg[/tex] carrying a negative charge of [tex] 1.5 x 10^{-10}C[/tex] is released from rest at a distance of 1.0m from the centre of the sphere. Calculate the velocity of the particle when it srtikes the surface of the sphere. Neglect the gravitational effect.

I cannot get the correct answer, which is 11m/s...anyway, here are my steps:

KE gained = PE loss
1/2 mv^2 = [tex] \frac{Qq}{4\pi\epsilon r} [/tex]
v = 3.87 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Clari said:
I cannot get the correct answer, which is 11m/s...anyway
v = 3.87 m/s

Your method is right, you're just using the wrong distance in the PE. Remember, the particle goes from r=1 m to r=0.1 m, not from r=infinity to r=1 m.

Thank you SpaceTiger!
I get the answer now, I thought that the PE on reaching the surface of the sphere is zero... :tongue:

What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object changes its position in a specific direction over a certain amount of time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

How do you calculate velocity?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time. The formula for velocity is v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is displacement, and Δt is change in time.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. Speed is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude, while velocity is a vector quantity.

What are the units of velocity?

The units of velocity can vary depending on the system of measurement being used. In the International System of Units (SI), velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s). In the United States Customary Units, velocity is measured in feet per second (ft/s).

How can velocity be represented on a graph?

Velocity can be represented on a graph by plotting the change in position (displacement) on the y-axis and the change in time on the x-axis. The slope of the line connecting these points represents the velocity of the object.