1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To find the velocity of the particle

1. Mar 14, 2005 #1
    A metal sphere of radius 0.10m carries a positive charge of [tex] 1.0 x 10^{-4}C[/tex]. A particle of mass [tex] 2.0 x 10^{-5}kg[/tex] carrying a negative charge of [tex] 1.5 x 10^{-10}C[/tex] is released from rest at a distance of 1.0m from the centre of the sphere. Calculate the velocity of the particle when it srtikes the surface of the sphere. Neglect the gravitational effect.

I cannot get the correct answer, which is 11m/s....anyway, here are my steps:

KE gained = PE loss
    1/2 mv^2 = [tex] \frac{Qq}{4\pi\epsilon r} [/tex]
    v = 3.87 m/s
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your method is right, you're just using the wrong distance in the PE. Remember, the particle goes from r=1 m to r=0.1 m, not from r=infinity to r=1 m.
  4. Mar 14, 2005 #3
    Thank you SpaceTiger!
    I get the answer now, I thought that the PE on reaching the surface of the sphere is zero..... :tongue:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?