To go from a Psychology degree to Physics? (In UK)

In summary, the individual is interested in pursuing a career in physics, but has just completed a BSc (Hons) in Psychology and is unsure of their options. They have a low score in the International Baccalaureate Diploma and are considering options such as a foundation year, another bachelor's degree, or a master's degree. However, their lack of undergraduate-level physics and math courses may make these options difficult. Another possibility is studying part-time through the Open University while working.
Stargazing
Physics, and more specifically Astrophysics, has always been my passion. However I have just finished my BSc (Hons) Psychology in the UK and have achieved a 2.1. I do not want to carry on with psychology. I want to carry on in academia and study physics. I'm just wondering what on Earth my options are... (believe me I'm kicking myself for choosing the wrong degree).

Before university I completed the International Baccalaureate Diploma and scored a measly 26 points. I was having issues at the time and really made no effort (another thing I'm kicking myself for). It was my original intention to study physics and I did take higher level physics but only finished with a 4, which I guess is the equivalent of perhaps a 'C'. Do I need to:

A) Do a foundation year in physics/astronomy or even go back to school...
B) Do another Bachelors in physics/astronomy
C) Go straight on to a Masters in physics (if only)
D) Just give up on my dreams.

Physics news on Phys.org
Option C looks impossible, since the number of undergraduate-level physics courses you have done is zero, and the number of undergrad-level maths courses is also probably close to zero. (I have no idea whether psychologists take courses in vector calculus or partial differential equations, but my guess is they don't).

Whether B) is an option depends whether you can meet the entry requirements, which would be good grades in A-level maths and sciences (or equivalent IB or Scottish exams). Grade C would probably be marginal at best.

Also there may be funding issues for a second BSc degree - you probably can't take out more student loans, for example.

Option E) might be to investigate the Open University, get a job, and study part time for as long as it takes.

1. What are the necessary qualifications to switch from a Psychology degree to a Physics degree?

In the UK, you typically need a minimum of a 2:1 in your Psychology degree to be considered for a Physics degree program. Some universities may also require specific A-level subjects to have been studied, such as Mathematics and Physics.

2. Can I transfer credits from my Psychology degree to a Physics degree?

It is possible to transfer credits from your Psychology degree to a Physics degree, but it ultimately depends on the policies of the university you are transferring to. You may need to provide transcripts and course descriptions for evaluation.

3. How long does it take to complete a Physics degree after completing a Psychology degree?

The amount of time it takes to complete a Physics degree after a Psychology degree varies depending on the individual and the university. Some universities offer accelerated programs, while others may require you to complete the full duration of the degree program.

4. Are there any specific skills or knowledge I should have before switching to a Physics degree?

Having a strong understanding of mathematics and critical thinking skills are essential for a Physics degree. It is also beneficial to have some basic knowledge of physics concepts and theories, which can be gained through self-study or introductory courses.

5. What career options are available with a Physics degree after completing a Psychology degree?

A Physics degree opens up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, finance, and technology. You may also choose to pursue further education in a specific area of physics or psychology, such as neuroscience or biophysics.