Grad School or Other Options: What's the Best Choice?

In summary, the person is looking into graduate school options and is considering radiation therapy as an alternative.
feathermoon
Hey all,

I basically am at a crossroads. I recently received my undergraduate degree in physics, and now I'm looking at either attending graduate school or some other unknown. To me graduate school is the preference, but my GPA is quite low at 2.759. I will apply to two different medical physics programs that I know of that have stipulations that they might take students with a GPA this low.

I guess I'm just wondering about alternatives, because I'm [rightly] worried about ever getting into a grad school. I bought into the whole do anything with a physics degree, but became dispirited by the actual coursework. Its not that I'm disinterested, but my professor was awkward to speak to so I sought little help for harder material, and was never really self motivated. Are there many possibilities still open to me?

Locally I can get a job as a physical scientist in the coal mines probably, but that's frankly quite low on my list of jobs. Currently I'm a high school teacher at a private school, and just got my substitute license for public schools. I can already tell its not really for me, though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Medical physics graduate programs tend to be rather competative to get into these days, so unless you have some stronger points to offset your GPA the chances of getting in are very low.

If you really have a strong interest in medical physics and don't get in as a graduate student, what about training as a radiation therapist? Depending on the program you could start working in ~ 2 years and/or go on to become a dosimetrist. Salary-wise they do quite well and you won't spent the next 7+ years of your life as a student/resident.

That sounds like a good option I hadn't thought of. Thanks. I have done undergraduate research for two summers. But yea, I don't really expect to be accepted into a medical physics program, given my GPA. I can tell its competitive; one school that's been sending me invitations to open houses and such also said they accepted ~14 out of ~80 apps last year, with avg GPA of 3.8. That's unfortunately not me, haha.

Do you know of any other sub fields of physics, or other fields where I would more likely be accepted into a graduate program? I'm open to suggestions at this point; I think I knew more about what I wanted to be when I came into college than when I left.

My current backup backup plan is trying to get an officers commission as a physical scientist for the U.S. armed forces. Anyone have any experience with that? Is it a good/bad choice if it comes to that or remaining a part time teacher?

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between grad school and other options?

The main difference between grad school and other options such as entering the workforce or taking a gap year, is that grad school is a continuation of academic education focused on a specific field of study. It typically leads to a Master's or PhD degree, while other options may lead to job opportunities or personal growth.

2. Is grad school the best choice for me?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It ultimately depends on your personal goals, interests, and career aspirations. Grad school can be a great option for those looking to advance their knowledge and skills in a specific field, while other options may be more suitable for those seeking immediate job opportunities or a break from academia.

3. How do I decide between grad school and other options?

It is important to carefully evaluate your personal goals and priorities. Consider factors such as your long-term career goals, financial situation, and personal interests. You may also want to speak with a career counselor or academic advisor for guidance in making this decision.

4. What are the benefits of attending grad school?

Some potential benefits of attending grad school include gaining advanced knowledge and skills in a specific field, networking opportunities, and potential career advancement. Grad school can also provide a deeper understanding of a subject and open doors to new career possibilities.

5. Are there any alternatives to grad school?

Apart from entering the workforce or taking a gap year, there are also other options such as attending a vocational or technical school, pursuing online certifications, or joining a fellowship program. It's important to research and consider all options to find the best fit for your personal and career goals.