Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To Gripe or not to Gripe?

1. Oct 23, 2006 #1
    Eh, something really annoyed me in the ME forum and I dont know if I should gripe about it or not because its going to make alot of people mad and say "if you dont like PF you can leave!"

Do you think I should keep my mouth shut? I think it is a fair gripe though. :grumpy:

Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut and bite my tongue.....

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Maybe a PM to the individual involved, if it's a personal thing, or a mention in Feedback.

4. Oct 23, 2006 #3
    I think you should tell people how you feel. There are probably people who are thinking the same thing as you and feel like they shouldn't say anything. If you don't like something you should say it otherwise no one will ever know

5. Oct 23, 2006 #4
    It's not against anyone in general. Its just a trend I noticed that makes me dissapointed sometimes, but its understandable at the same time. And to be fair, I do it myself sometimes too.

But when you say things, people tend to take it the wrong way and make it personal, and I dont want to offend anyone here. And im not trying to point anyone out in particular becuase its not an individual problem.

6. Oct 23, 2006 #5
    Why don't you say something like that before you tell the people and then hopefully they will understand

7. Oct 23, 2006 #6
    Because people still take it the wrong way.

8. Oct 23, 2006 #7
    I am sure they won't take it that bad surely?! It is just a forum

9. Oct 23, 2006 #8
    Well silence is golden, so..... :wink:

10. Oct 23, 2006 #9

moo

By now some folks are no doubt imagining worse things than you want to complain about anyway. Since you've already brought it up though, I'd say go ahead. :wink:

moo

11. Oct 23, 2006 #10

Lisa!

Gold Member

Don't be that sure that they wouldnt take it wrong way! But anyway if it was me, I would have said it anyway...o:)
    Edit:
    Not to mention that I would have killed myself 1st if I was you!
    :tongue2:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  12. Oct 23, 2006 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're afraid it will offend others if you comment on it openly here, but it's something that bothers you enough that you'd like to see it brought to the attention of the mentors to help address, you can always use that post report button for a post that is an example of the problem and explain it that way...only the mentors and admins see those reports, and we have pretty thick skin.

It's also worth noting that we've been down to only one mentor for all of engineering for a while with enigma's absence, so more things may have been slipping by the wayside there. Hopefully with berkeman and jtbell on staff, we'll have a few more eyes out on those forums now to help address any problems (though give them a little time to get broken in first...they're still occassionally crashing into telephone polls on their flying lessons with the new capes :biggrin:).

13. Oct 23, 2006 #12

Danger

Gold Member

I know that telephone polls are a major nuissance, but I've never heard of anybody crashing into one. :uhh:
    Or did you mean poles?

14. Oct 23, 2006 #13
    I cant report an entire subsection! :tongue2:

Well, I am going to bring it to peoples attention. Don't take it personal anyone. Like I said, it is not any particular individual that's the problem.

Bingo, this is an understatement, and it has been getting progressively worse and worse. To the point where it comes off looking like a joke sometimes. :uhh:

Anyways, I have had no sleep and I need to get some rest. I will post a bit later and nicely as I can.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  15. Oct 23, 2006 #14

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I try to look at everything, but certainly I've missed some posts that require action. I encourage you to use the "report bad post" button if you see something that requries action.

16. Oct 23, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :redface: Oops. I shouldn't post before I've finished my morning coffee.

17. Oct 23, 2006 #16
    Well, the first thing I have taken notice (for too long now) is that people use the ME/AE forum as a homework help section; yet at the same time, I hardly see people using the Engineering section of homework help.

It seems a bit redunant to have two sections doing the same purpose. Every time I see a HW question being posted in the physics section, it gets moved to homework help usually within the hour.

Just on the first page alone of the ME/AE forum here are all the HW questions that I have found:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=139329

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=139124

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=138571

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=138832

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=138327

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=135576

18. Oct 23, 2006 #17

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a "judgment call" by the mods whether stuff that belongs in HW, or S&D, or GD, or P&WA gets moved. Goes on in Chem, Earth, Astro, and elsewhere all the time. Hit the "bad post" button, state your view(s), and "move on."

19. Oct 23, 2006 #18

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The report post button is the way to go. If a post gets reported, any of the mentors can and will act on it. I do not typically browse the engineering forums. If I see an interesting topic I can contribute to I will post. Other wise I stick to Physics and Homework help.

20. Oct 24, 2006 #19
    And I dont blame you, compared to the Math and Physics Sections, the standards just seem so low in the Engineering Forums these days :frown:

I try to stay away from them for that reason. From the ME/AE forum, you would think being an ME is about fixing your car's engine....:grumpy:

It seems like it's a pop-science forum and not a science forum. Sorta like a really bad Tech magazine thats full of fluff...:uhh:

Sorry guys, no offense, but its been bugging me for months now.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  21. Oct 24, 2006 #20

moo

Standards regarding what? Questions? Answers? Discussions?

Interesting. There are threads about car engines, but the ones I have seen were regarding specifications and/or design, not repairs.

Are you suggesting that no automotive topics should be allowed?

Sorry for the quiz, but I'm new here and am just trying to find out what's expected.

Thanks, moo

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?