1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To intern or not next summer

1. Oct 6, 2011 #1
    Hey all,
    I'm a 4th year ME and will graduate in December 2012. I'm trying to decide what I want to do next summer. I've completed both an internship and a co-op with different companies over the last year, but neither I really want to work with full time for various reasons. I also have good grades and I'm involved in research and student activities. The logical decision would be to look for another internship, but frankly, I'm sort of tired of being 'the intern'. I'd rather just get on into the real world instead of getting handed whatever left over projects are around. So I'm bouncing around a couple of ideas next summer like doing some travelling or completing a lengthy bike tour with a friend of mine. My concern is that when I'm looking for that full time job, companies will perceive that as sloth or lack of ambitions, something to that affect. I feel like I have enough other stuff going for me, one summer off shouldn't be a problem. But I'm not sure, what do you think, would there be any issues with taking a 'summer off' to pursue some of my own interests?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2011 #2
    The guy interviewing you 14 months from now looking over your resume and seeing ONE summer off isn't all that different than you, just older. Rather than asking yourself whether companies will see you as a slacker for taking a summer off to ride your bike, ask yourself whether or not you want to work for someone who thinks taking time off to travel when you're young is a waste of time. That person would be a psychopath, and a terrible person to work for. If you don't need the money, and you don't have an internship lined up that is too good to turn down, TAKE THE TIME OFF!!

4. Oct 7, 2011 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A few months off after completing your degree is not that strange. I don't think it would be a problem, and it's easy enough to explain why you took the time off.

If you were taking off 6 months to a year, then the situation may be different. Perhaps an employer or grad school would want a better explanation for that much time off, but I doubt any employer would give you trouble for taking a summer vacation after you graduate.

5. Oct 7, 2011 #4
    Thanks, that's basically what I figured, I just needed to hear it from someone else.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook