Is a Minor in Mathematics Worthwhile for a Physics Major?

In summary, this student is considering a minor in mathematics or materials engineering. She is unsure if completing all of the requirements for a physics degree will help her achieve her goal of going to graduate school, but she is interested in research and is considering taking extra classes to gain more skills.
LeftMyHeartInErebor
My first 2 years in college I was a little lost in what I wanted to do so I completed almost all of my generation ed classes. I finally realized I love physics, I am interested in astrophysics although I know I have time and opportunities to change my mind . Happily I attend a school with a great physics program and am in the process of completing my "first year" of physics classes.

Because most of my GEs are done I have extra time on my hands so I thought about minor (definitely don't have time in my personal life, I'm a parent, to double major). But I am not sure if this is a good idea. I definitely want to try to go to grad school, specifically Phd, but at least a masters. I seriously doubt a minor will help with that but extra classes might help me (knowledge, experience, connections etc).

Am I wrong? Should I focus on just physics and trying to get involved in research? Is TAing worthwhile? If I minor I am considering mathematics. My other interest is a Materials Engineering. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm willing to bet that if you complete all of the requirements for a physics degree, you won't be far off from a mathematics minor. For that reason, many physics majors decide to do that.

Also, yes. Definitely do research. Especially if you want to go to grad school.

If you want to do a minor "just to do a minor" or "because you're bored", then perhaps this isn't the bet reasoning. I think taking a minor is a very good thing to do, but it should be something you're very interested in, or something that may help you careerwise. This might be mathematics, or materials engineering. So if you have a pretty good idea which courses in math or engineering you would like to take, and if they add up to a minor or almost a minor, then go for it. If you have other interests which do not happen to add up to a minor, then don't go for the minor.

Thanks, I have time to think about it, but I think I'm leaning towards doing one of them. I love math, and the materials engineering classes are really exciting to me. Neither is a lot of extra classes. I definitely don't want to take extra classes just because. I feel like I might have an opportunity to gain more skills. I'm really excited by the classes both minors would offer. Neither has a class that I find myself thinking "Oh I'd have to take that?" its more like, "Wow I'd love to learn about that!" I think I'm just going to play it by ear. If I can take the classes and they add up to a minor great, if not oh well. I know for sure I'd rather get time in on research than give up those opportunities for a class that fulfills a minor.

If anyone else has pearls of wisdom to share please do! Thanks!

Great!
Do you have any idea what kind of research you would like to do in grad school? Perhaps this could lead you to a good set of courses?

I don't have a definitive goal yet. I've been looking up what research is being done now at some of the other universities in my area to see what peaks my curiosity in hopes that will help me narrow down my direction. This is actually one of the reasons I came to consider a materials engineering minor. There is so much out there that I find interesting, I'm just trying to absorb as much as I can and hopefully soon I can narrow it down a little.

Understandable, but then a minor might not be the best you can do. If you have a few directions in mind, you can take courses on each of those directions to see if you like it or not. For example, take a few courses in material engineering, a few courses in math, and whatever interests you. The bigger the variety of courses you take, the more informed your eventual decision will be. Don't fix yourself in a certain direction yet because it will give you a minor.

Likes LeftMyHeartInErebor
Thank you mircomass. I do have time to decide which classes to take. But I appreciate the input because I feel like I am on the right track with my thought process.

What is a minor?

A minor is a secondary field of study that a student can choose to pursue in addition to their major. It typically consists of a smaller number of courses compared to a major and provides a basic understanding of a specific subject.

Why should I consider minoring?

Minoring can be beneficial for a variety of reasons. It allows you to explore an interest or passion outside of your major and can make you more marketable to potential employers. It also adds diversity to your academic experience and can improve your critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Can I minor in any subject?

While many universities offer a wide range of minors, there may be limitations on which subjects you can minor in based on your major or the availability of courses. It's important to check with your academic advisor to see what minors are available to you.

How many courses do I need to take for a minor?

The number of courses required for a minor varies depending on the university and the subject. On average, a minor consists of 4-6 courses, which is typically around 15-18 credit hours.

Will minoring affect my graduation timeline?

Adding a minor may require you to take additional courses, which could potentially delay your graduation timeline. However, with careful planning and time management, it is possible to complete a minor without extending your graduation date.