To parenthesize, or not to parenthesize (that is the question)

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of finding a clear and efficient notation for predicate logic. The use of parentheses and other grouping symbols can be time-consuming and can result in unclear statements. Some have found it more effective to communicate using words rather than predicate calculus. However, the speaker is interested in the relationship between logic and mathematics and will continue to study logics. The conversation also touches on the issue of grading student homework with machines and the importance of using parentheses in notation. The speaker recommends using a parentheses at the beginning of an existentially quantified expression for clarity. They also mention their personal experience with learning various notations and studying logic and math. The conversation ends with a remark about the distinction between math and logic and the suggestion that the
honestrosewater
Gold Member
I'm trying to find the clearest, most efficient notation for predicate logic. I especially want to avoid being bogged down in parentheses or other grouping symbols, but, of course, not at the expense of clarity or consistency. Has anyone found a happy medium?

For example, in writing the following, I spent a ridiculous amount of time double-checking my parentheses.

[tex]\exists ! x (Px) \equiv (\exists x (Px)) \wedge (\forall x \forall y ((Px \wedge Py) \implies x=y))[/tex]

Negate the whole statement twice [tex](\neg (\neg p) \equiv p)[/tex]:
[tex]\neg (\neg (\exists x (Px)) \wedge (\forall x \forall y ((Px \wedge Py) \implies x=y))))[/tex]

Distribute the inner negation [tex](\neg (p \wedge q) \equiv \neg p \vee \neg q)[/tex]:
[tex]\neg (\neg (\exists x (Px)) \vee \neg(\forall x \forall y ((Px \wedge Py) \implies x=y)))[/tex]

Substitute the negated existential [tex](\neg (\exists x (Px)) \equiv \forall x (\neg Px))[/tex]:
[tex]\neg (\forall x (\neg Px) \vee \neg(\forall x \forall y ((Px \wedge Py) \implies x=y)))[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
you are encountering a predicament some of us have also done. namely we began the study of predicate logic, and propositional calculus and symbolic logic in general, as a means of clarifying the truth of statements. For this lots of parentheses are needed.

Then at some point we found that human beings are not greatly aided in understanding statements merely because those statements are totally precise. I.e. they can still be puzzlingly unclear, even if entirely correct.

Thus eventually, in communication of mathematics to humans, one stops using much predicate calculus, and attempts the classical art of writing words that convey ones meaning more strikingly.

But you are no doubt still fascinated by this logical exercise, and perhaps for some reason, such as the desire to comunicate with machines. But I offer this remark, from experience.

It was 1960, as a Freshman at Harvard, when I first noted, with some disdain, that the grader could not realize that the arguemnts in my homework were actually correct, if i wrote the statements out in predicate calculus. It is too hard to follow for many people.

So I quit, and seldom use it today, although one would often dearly like to be able to express say continuity vs uniform continuity of a function this way in a class.

another instance from experience comes from having student homework graded by machine. The student often thinks the machine is wrong, but the machine in my experience never was. Rather the stduent had always left out a parentheses, which the human grader understands and supplies mentally.

For me personally, your expression should have a parentheses right at the beginning, surrounding the existentially quantified expression. Leaving it out makes the statement harder to follow at least for me.

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
you are encountering a predicament some of us have also done. namely we began the study of predicate logic, and propositional calculus and symbolic logic in general, as a means of clarifying the truth of statements. For this lots of parentheses are needed.

Then at some point we found that human beings are not greatly aided in understanding statements merely because those statements are totally precise. I.e. they can still be puzzlingly unclear, even if entirely correct.
I think (blank) spaces should be used as grouping symbols, just as they are in this sentence. I'm not entirely sure how that would work (great, new project), but I'd bet it's already been done.
Thus eventually, in communication of mathematics to humans, one stops using much predicate calculus, and attempts the classical art of writing words that convey ones meaning more strikingly.

But you are no doubt still fascinated by this logical exercise, and perhaps for some reason, such as the desire to comunicate with machines. But I offer this remark, from experience.

It was 1960, as a Freshman at Harvard, when I first noted, with some disdain, that the grader could not realize that the arguemnts in my homework were actually correct, if i wrote the statements out in predicate calculus. It is too hard to follow for many people.

So I quit, and seldom use it today, although one would often dearly like to be able to express say continuity vs uniform continuity of a function this way in a class.
Thanks for the advice.
I'm not sure how to say this- the distinction between logic and math gets harder to see everyday- I guess you could say I'm interested in formal systems and interpretations. That is, I'm mostly interested in math as a language. I'm especially interested in the relationship between the what and how of meaning, and I expect to be spending lots of time with logics.
another instance from experience comes from having student homework graded by machine. The student often thinks the machine is wrong, but the machine in my experience never was. Rather the stduent had always left out a parentheses, which the human grader understands and supplies mentally.
Yeah, I'm missing a left parenthesis "(" after the second negation in the second statement.
For me personally, your expression should have a parentheses right at the beginning, surrounding the existentially quantified expression. Leaving it out makes the statement harder to follow at least for me.
Where did you learn that notation? I've seen the same thing said in at least a dozen different ways, and I haven't used any notation enough to guess at the reasoning behind the choice of any of them.

well i read principles of mathematics in high school, then articles by various logicians, such as in world of mathematics, then studied out of willard van orman quine's books as a college freshman, then read loomis advanced calculus, audited lectures of paul cohen, perused his book on the continuum mhypothesis, then much later taught out of patrick suppes book. i have also perused the huge tome of russell and whitehead, which really turned me off.

they spend as i recall hundreds of pages on such matters as whether 0 = 1 or 1+1 = 2.

if the distinction between math and logic seems vague to you, then may i suggest you are not a mathematician but a logician, which you seem to confirm. to a mathematician, few mathematical questions of significance have much to do with logic.

logical question to be sure are difficult, but they have a different focus, and a different appeal. actually i know a very strong number theorist who is interested in some difficult matters of computability, related to logic.

as to your last question, doesn't it just seem uniform practice to use parentheses on existential quantifiers if you use them on universal ones?

Last edited:
Ack, I'm turning into a logician. :cry:

you are just broad minded.

mathwonk said:
well i read principles of mathematics in high school, then articles by various logicians, such as in world of mathematics, then studied out of willard van orman quine's books as a college freshman, then read loomis advanced calculus, audited lectures of paul cohen, perused his book on the continuum mhypothesis, then much later taught out of patrick suppes book. i have also perused the huge tome of russell and whitehead, which really turned me off.
I guess I'll have to try to scrounge up a copy of that principles of math book you keep recommending. :smile: I presume you're talking about Quine's "Mathematical Logic"- I only read parts of that. I read his "Elementary Logic" and was pretty bored (though that's not necessarily his fault). I do love how he only uses negation, conjunction, and the existential quantifier. I didn't like Suppes either, from the little I read of it. I like Machover (the book I'm waiting for- have you read it?). I'll use Copi's "Intro to Logic" too, considering its reputation.
There's a tiny book on PDEs-"Intro to PDEs" by Arne Broman, IIRC- that I "read" -though I barely understood a word of it- just because it was so concise, well-organized, and all-around beeyoutiful.
as to your last question, doesn't it just seem uniform practice to use parentheses on existential quantifiers if you use them on universal ones?
I would write [tex]\forall x (Px)[/tex] if it were alone. I add the parentheses for compound propositions. Eh, I guess [tex]\exists !x (Px)[/tex] isn't really alone. It's relatively alone, er, whatever- I'm experimenting.

What would you say is the difference between logic and math? What is it about a question that makes you say, "Yay, that's a math question" vs. "No thanks, that's a logic question"?

BTW, I agree- logicians are broader-minded than mathematicians. :tongue2:
Edit: Or did you mean he's always thinking about broads? Or that he thinks like a broad?

Last edited:
In case anyone cares, if there's a way to use blank spaces as grouping symbols, it isn't obvious. However, you can use overlining or underlining and hash marks; the former for grouping, the latter for negation. The lines nest by stacking. For instance,
[tex][(p \vee q) \Leftrightarrow \neg (\neg p \wedge \neg q)][/tex] would look something like
----------------
-----_____--+--
-___-____+___+
p V q <=> p ^ q
but not so fugly. I'll test it out for a while (on paper) and see how it compares. I've decided to embrace grouping symbols now anyway.

You can always generate syntax trees as we do for expressions. It also can be used to develop an efficient system to parse a predicate logic expression. (Syntax trees are used at compiler levels to parse expression trees) I believe this should be feasible and should be clear enough, more-so since the precedence and associativity for the logic operators are defined just as the for arithmetic operators.

-- AI

1. What does it mean to "parenthesize"?

Parenthesizing refers to the act of enclosing a word, phrase, or sentence within parentheses, which are curved brackets. This is often used in writing to provide additional information or clarification.

2. Why would someone choose to parenthesize?

Parenthesizing can be used to add emphasis, provide clarification, or indicate a separate thought or idea within a sentence. It can also be used to set apart information that is not essential to the main point of the sentence.

3. When should I use parentheses in my writing?

Parentheses should be used sparingly and only when necessary. They are typically used in academic or technical writing to provide additional information or to clarify a source. In creative writing, parentheses may be used for stylistic purposes.

4. Is parenthesizing the same as using commas or dashes?

No, parenthesizing is not the same as using commas or dashes. While all three punctuation marks can be used to provide additional information, they have different functions and can change the tone or emphasis of a sentence. Parentheses are typically used for non-essential information, while commas and dashes can be used for essential information.

5. How do I properly use parentheses in a sentence?

Parentheses should be used carefully and sparingly. When using parentheses, make sure the information inside is not essential to the main point of the sentence. Also, make sure the sentence still makes sense without the information inside the parentheses. Lastly, be consistent with your use of parentheses throughout your writing.