What are the alternative career options in astrophysics besides research?

In summary, the person is a junior at the University of Michigan and is considering a double major in Physics and Astronomy, followed by a Ph.D. in astrophysics. However, they are unsure about pursuing a career in research and are interested in other career options in astrophysics such as working with telescopes and designing space-related equipment. They are considering studying engineering instead, as it would not require a Ph.D. and may lead them to their desired career path. They are seeking opinions and advice on this matter.
Candy Rios
Hello everyone!
I'm a junior at the University of Michigan, currently on a path to double major in Physics and Astronomy, which would be followed by grad school for a Ph.D. in astrophysics (if all goes well). My entire life I thought I wanted to be an astrophysicist, but I'm beginning to become more unsure by the day. The reason for this is that I've been involved in black hole research for the last year; while it's incredibly interesting, I don't see research as something I can be passionate about as a career. It seems to me that research is a LARGE part of astrophysics, not only in grad school, but as a career as well. Also, I'm not sure I can commit to how long grad school will take.
What are other career options in astrophysics if any?
I'm interested in telescopes. I find anything to do with light extremely interesting. So, who works on creating telescopes, all kinds? I feel that if I want to be able to design or create space related equipment, a degree in engineering would be helpful. Engineering would also not require a ph.d in the field in order to be employable.
Any opinions over the matter would be helpful!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like reality is knocking on your door!

Candy Rios said:
It seems to me that research is a LARGE part of astrophysics

I don't think it is quite fair to say it is a LARGE part of astrophysics, but rather, I think you should say that is the whole thing, the entirety of astrophysics. What else do you see as part of astrophysics? Any products for sale? Any services to offer?

I don't know who makes telescopes, but somebody does, and I can assure you that is an engineering effort. Many years ago, when I was a student, I knew another student who worked for UT-Austin on the design of a new telescope for their McDonald observatory, and that person was a mechanical engineering student at the time.

I suggest that you make some inquiries, scout around for who makes optical equipment. What about folks who make the equipment in every ophthalmologist's office?

Dr.D said:
I don't think it is quite fair to say it is a LARGE part of astrophysics, but rather, I think you should say that is the whole thing, the entirety of astrophysics. What else do you see as part of astrophysics? Any products for sale? Any services to offer?

Well, I know that astrophysicists can be professors as well, however, this also entails research, which is why I said "LARGE part of astrophysics." I think that astrophysicists may also have other side opportunities such as advocacy and such, I've just never seen it so I wondered...

But yes, it seems like engineering will lead me to what I actually would like to do.

1. What is the difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe. On the other hand, engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and improve structures, machines, and processes. While physics is more theoretical and focuses on understanding nature, engineering is more practical and focuses on creating solutions to real-world problems.

2. Can someone with a physics degree work as an engineer?

Yes, someone with a physics degree can work as an engineer. While both fields have their specific focus, there is a lot of overlap in the skills and knowledge required. Physics graduates have a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving, and critical thinking, which are essential skills for an engineer. With additional training and experience, a physics graduate can transition into a career in engineering.

3. Which field has better job prospects, physics, or engineering?

Both physics and engineering have excellent job prospects, but it ultimately depends on the specific industry and job market. Physics graduates can find employment in research and development, education, and technology sectors, while engineering graduates can work in various industries, such as aerospace, construction, and manufacturing. It is important to research the job market and demand in your area of interest to determine which field may have better job prospects for you.

4. Do physics and engineering require different skill sets?

While there is some overlap in the required skills for physics and engineering, there are also some distinct differences. Physics requires strong analytical and mathematical skills, abstract thinking, and the ability to conduct experiments and analyze data. Engineering, on the other hand, requires problem-solving skills, critical thinking, creativity, and the ability to apply scientific principles to practical solutions. Both fields also require strong communication and teamwork skills.

5. Which field has a higher salary, physics, or engineering?

The salary for both physics and engineering careers can vary greatly depending on factors such as industry, location, and experience. Generally, engineering careers tend to have higher salaries compared to physics careers. However, both fields offer opportunities for high-paying jobs, and it ultimately depends on the specific job market and individual qualifications. It is important to research the salary range for your desired career path to make an informed decision.