1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To recreate a projection of the transit of Venus

1. Jun 29, 2012 #1
    Hi! Newly registered here, with an optics question.

I was going through some photos I took of the transit of Venus this year, where I'd used a reflecting telescope to project the image of the sun and the passing planet onto a piece of white paper. Image: http://imgur.com/3mdUN

I showed it to some friends and one responded words to the effect, "I know I should be amazed, but I can't help thinking I could recreate that with a flashlight and a sharpie." I understand the sun is much brighter than any flashlight: my question really relates to the focus of the image produced.

My counter to this point was that for the sun/Venus system, one could reach an arbitrary level of resolution, whereas with a flashlight, the light source and sharpie blackout would be so close that the "planet" could never achieve the same level of focus..? I admit, I don't really know what I'm talking about, so I'd really appreciate anyone's advice/expertise.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted