1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To set a swing going

1. May 24, 2010 #1
    Is it impossible for me to to set a swing (on which a child weighing 66 pound is sitting) going, so that its velocity from the very beginning is 33 ft/s? Why/Why not?

I find myself quite lost with this question so I have no attempts at any solutions...all i know is that it sounds impossible to me..but i don't know how to prove it:S Maybe one could in some way use momentum p=m*v ...

Would really appreciate some help!:)

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi lisa1234! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    Well, suppose the child, instead of being stationary on a swing, was stationary on the ground (say, on ice) …

could you then set the child moving at 33 ft/s ?

4. May 24, 2010 #3
    No probably not...i mean it's almost impossible to even run that fast..
    But aren't there any equations i can use to prove it??

5. May 24, 2010 #4
    Well, try calculating the acceleration that would be needed to set anyone moving with any velocity in no time assuming that the velocity in the beginning was 0 :P. This advice is not as stupid as it seems to be ;)

6. May 24, 2010 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What would happen if another child collided with it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook