Can You Set a Swing Going with 33 ft/s?

• Thread starter lisa1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set Swing
In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of setting a swing in motion with a child weighing 66 pounds sitting on it, and achieving a velocity of 33 ft/s from the very beginning. Different scenarios and equations are discussed, but it is ultimately concluded that it is not possible to achieve such a velocity in no time.
lisa1234
Is it impossible for me to to set a swing (on which a child weighing 66 pound is sitting) going, so that its velocity from the very beginning is 33 ft/s? Why/Why not?

I find myself quite lost with this question so I have no attempts at any solutions...all i know is that it sounds impossible to me..but i don't know how to prove it:S Maybe one could in some way use momentum p=m*v ...

Would really appreciate some help!:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi lisa1234! Welcome to PF! :smile:
lisa1234 said:
Is it impossible for me to to set a swing (on which a child weighing 66 pound is sitting) going, so that its velocity from the very beginning is 33 ft/s? Why/Why not?

Well, suppose the child, instead of being stationary on a swing, was stationary on the ground (say, on ice) …

could you then set the child moving at 33 ft/s ?

No probably not...i mean it's almost impossible to even run that fast..
But aren't there any equations i can use to prove it??

Well, try calculating the acceleration that would be needed to set anyone moving with any velocity in no time assuming that the velocity in the beginning was 0 :P. This advice is not as stupid as it seems to be ;)

tiny-tim said:
Well, suppose the child, instead of being stationary on a swing, was stationary on the ground (say, on ice) …

could you then set the child moving at 33 ft/s ?

What would happen if another child collided with it?

1. How does the speed of 33 ft/s affect the swing?

The speed of 33 ft/s is a relatively fast speed for a swing. This speed would make the swing move quickly and have a higher amplitude (distance between its highest and lowest points). It would also require more force to keep the swing going at this speed.

2. Can a swing be set in motion with a speed of 33 ft/s?

Yes, a swing can definitely be set in motion with a speed of 33 ft/s. However, it may require a significant amount of force to do so, and the swing would move very quickly at this speed.

3. Is 33 ft/s a safe speed for a swing?

It depends on the individual using the swing and their comfort level with higher speeds. For most people, 33 ft/s would feel very fast and may not be considered safe. It is important to always use caution and good judgment when using a swing at any speed.

4. What factors contribute to setting a swing in motion with 33 ft/s?

The main factor that contributes to setting a swing in motion with a speed of 33 ft/s is the amount of force applied to the swing. The more force that is used, the faster the swing will move. Other factors that may contribute include the weight and size of the individual using the swing, as well as the type and condition of the swing itself.

5. Can a swing be set in motion with a speed of 33 ft/s on its own?

No, a swing cannot be set in motion with a speed of 33 ft/s on its own. It requires a person to push or pump their legs in order to generate the necessary force to get the swing moving. The swing will then continue to move at a lower speed once the initial force is applied.