To solve biquadratic equation

• Thread starter Monsterboy
  • Start date
In summary, the author has found that there are two real roots and two complex roots for x2. He does not know how to find the remaining real roots. If you have solved for the two complex roots, then you should at least be able to form a quadratic factor using those roots.
Monsterboy

Homework Statement

[itex] 144x^4 -40x^2 -639=0 [/itex]

Homework Equations

there are no clues about the roots ( in A.P,G.P or whatever)

The Attempt at a Solution

there are 2 real roots and 2 complex , i got the complex roots by solving it as a quadratic equation in x^2

[itex] 144((x^2)^2) -40x^2 -639=0 [/itex]

i don't know how to get the remaining real roots.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have solved for the two complex roots, then you should at least be able to form a quadratic factor using those roots. Divide the original fourth degree polynomial by the quadratic factor (Hint: there should be no remainder)

You've done the hard part.

You've found out values of x2. And you ask what values of x they correspond to?

i was not clear

by looking at the equation ,we can know that

the term [itex] \sqrt(b^2 -4ac)[/itex] is a square root of negative number

so [itex] x^2[/itex] itself is complex ,so [itex] x^2 [/itex] has 2 complex roots(conjugate pairs) so the values of x are +/- roots of these two complex roots which leads to 4 complex roots but in my book two real roots are being given + or - 3/2 and it's right, i don't know how to get this .

Last edited:
Monsterboy said:
i was not clear

by looking at the equation ,we can know that

the term [itex] \sqrt(b^2 -4ac)[/itex] is a square root of negative number

No, it is not. a=144, c=-639. -4ac>0

ehild

SteamKing said:
If you have solved for the two complex roots, then you should at least be able to form a quadratic factor using those roots. Divide the original fourth degree polynomial by the quadratic factor (Hint: there should be no remainder)

i took the two complex values(conjugate pairs) of [itex] x^2 [/itex] and multiplied them to get [itex]x^4[/itex](real number) and i found the fourth root of that number and i got 1.45 ,i should have got 1.5 ,do you think ,if i had taken more number of digits after decimal places in the calculation ,i would have got 1.5?

You seem to be looking at relatively complicated things and forgetting simple things that you know.

What results have you got for x2 ?

Since you are given the answer that tells you that one of these values should be 9/4. If you have not got that you have probably made mistake somewhere.

Your equation you can easily see has one positive and one negative real root for x2.

That is given by Descartes' rule, or more simply the LHS is negative at x2 = 0 and positive at high positive or negative x2, so that is the only possibility.

Then the negative x2 gives imaginary x's, the positive one real x's!

ehild said:
No, it is not. a=144, c=-639. -4ac>0

ehild

oh great ,what a bloody mistake! , i copied the question wrong in my notebook and wasted a lot time sorry, i had put +639 in the equation.

1. What is a biquadratic equation?

A biquadratic equation is a mathematical equation that contains a variable raised to the fourth power. The general form of a biquadratic equation is ax^4 + bx^2 + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you solve a biquadratic equation?

The most common method to solve a biquadratic equation is by factoring. First, factor out the greatest common factor, if possible. Then, use the quadratic formula to solve the resulting quadratic equation. Finally, substitute the values found into the original biquadratic equation to find the solutions.

3. Can a biquadratic equation have complex solutions?

Yes, a biquadratic equation can have complex solutions. This is because the quadratic formula, which is used to solve the resulting quadratic equation, can produce complex solutions when the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is negative.

4. Are there any other methods to solve a biquadratic equation?

Yes, there are other methods to solve a biquadratic equation, such as completing the square and using the substitution method. However, these methods are more complex and not as commonly used as factoring.

5. Can a biquadratic equation have more than four solutions?

No, a biquadratic equation can only have a maximum of four solutions. This is because a fourth-degree equation can be broken down into two quadratic equations, each with two solutions, resulting in a total of four solutions.