1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To study Quantum Field Theory

1. Feb 18, 2009 #1
    Please let me know what lecture I have to previously take.
    I already took undergraduate level lecture of quantum mechanics and mathematical physics.

And I also want to know that perturbation and scattering theory is hardly important on studying QFT..I'm so worry about that I didn't study hard when my professor dealt with that contents.

Thanks in advance and please be lenient my English cause I'm not from the English-speaking world so I do not speak English well...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2009 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For almost all introductory QFT classes it's sufficient to know the basics of quantum mechanics and linear algebra. Don't worry about not knowing any kind of perturbation theory already. Everything you need will be explained in the QFT course.

If you intend to go very deep into the subject, you will also have to learn about Lebesgue integration, distributions, functional analysis, and representations of Lie groups and Lie algebras.

4. Feb 19, 2009 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Scattering from non-rel QM is good to know, the formalism and concepts are almost the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook