Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To Stuff a PCB

1. Nov 1, 2008 #1

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To "Stuff" a PCB

Hi,

Does the phrase to "stuff" a PCB simply mean to take your blank PCB and place the components on their footprints and solder everything on, thereby completing the board? I don't want to sound like an idiot if it actually means something totally different.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2008 #2
    Re: To "Stuff" a PCB

Yeah, pretty much. Although sometimes it refers just to the part where you put the components in place, and not the soldering and so on.

4. Nov 1, 2008 #3

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks quadraphonics. Always nice to be "down with" the lingo.

5. Nov 1, 2008 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yea as quadraphonics says. It probably goes back to before there were surface mount devices. When components were hand "stuffed" in the boards on an assembly line before going to a wave solder machine. Next the leads were clipped.

6. Nov 1, 2008 #5

Actually, the leads are clipped before stuffing with a 'lead prep' machine if the board is to be run through a wave solder machine. If the board is to be hand dipped in a solder pot then the leads are clipped AFTER dipping. I've worked in electronic manufacturing.

7. Nov 2, 2008 #6

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks dlgoff for the clarification and Averagesupernova for the first-hand insights. I think the PCB I'll be making will be sent for manufacture and then returned to be "hand-stuffed" by yours truly.

I think that it's pretty neat how the process is automated though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?