Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To vote or not to vote

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1
    I am a 21 year old Canadian female who for the first time since I became of age, decided not to vote. I chose not to do so because as a university student who (stupidly) overloaded myself with classes (some of which are quite difficult) I havent really paid any attention to whos who and what they're up to. I have recently gotten into a lot of trouble by people who say "oh just pick someone, you should just vote for someone" I personally disagree with this theory, and Im curious what how others feel about it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2
    Talk to someone you trust, admire, respect. Vote!
  4. Oct 15, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

If you seriously do not know anything about the candidates, it would be foolish to vote. You might be voting for someone that goes against everything you believe in.
  5. Oct 15, 2008 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree. One key requirement for democracy is an informed electorate. If you haven't had the time to make an informed decision, then a null vote best serves the system.
  6. Oct 15, 2008 #5
    I have to agree with Ivan and Evo. If you know nothing about the candidates what is the point in voting for one?

Scary story. Here in California someone was running for a position in the city council for education. He signed up to run and then disappeared. Apparently no one liked the candidate that was running a campaign and so the guy who disappeared won the seat. He suddenly turned up to give an acceptance speech and told every one how he was so surprised that he had won since he hadn't been around or campaigned. He said that his parents had been kidnapped and he had been on the east coast negotiating their release from the mobsters who had taken them. He said that he was looking forward to serving his community and would do everything in his power (as a member of the education council mind you) to work with the FBI and Homeland Security to fight organized crime.

So seriously... knowing something about the people you vote for is important.
  7. Oct 16, 2008 #6
    ya, I was actually told "just vote green party, theyll never get in, but then youve given them some money" This attitude blows my mind. My grandmother is all about women voting "women had to fight for the right to vote, now youve got it, use it!" When I called my parents to ask who they were voting for etc, I was told "vote for what you believe in, dont take my word for it" I feel bad about not voting because I know most people my age dont pay attention or vote, and its my one chance to make my opinion count, but I couldnt just randomly choose a name and stamp my approval on it.
  8. Oct 16, 2008 #7
    I don't know how things work in Canada but in the U.S. that actually wouldn't be entirely bad advice - it's applying your vote to an effort to increase the number of viable options in future elections and support minority political interests who presumably will bring up issues that are less processed by political machines.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?