To what depth does the bullet penetrate the block in this case?

In summary, the conversation discusses three physics problems involving conservation of energy and momentum. The first problem involves two siblings riding a sled down a hill, the second involves a bullet being fired into a block of wood, and the third involves two blocks colliding on a frictionless track. The conversation provides hints and equations to guide the problem solving process for each question.
Pseudo Statistic
Hi.
I was trying to solve the following problems, but I just don't understand what principles/laws/concepts I'm supposed to be using.
I hope someone can give me a hint as to where I should start.
Thanks a lot for any replies.

31) Gayle runs at a speed of 4m/s and dives on a sled, initially at rest on the top of a frictionless snow-covered hill. After she has descended a vertical distance of 5m, her brother, who is initially at rest, hops on her back and together they continue down the hill. What is their speed at the bottom of the hill if the total vertical drop is 15m? Gayle's mass is 50kg, the sled has a mass of 5kg, and her brother has a mass of 30kg.

39) A 7g bullet, when fired from a gun into a 1kg block of wood held in a vise, penetrates the block to a depth of 8cm. This block of wood is placed on a frictionless horizontal surface, and a second 7g bullet is fired from the gun into the block. To what depth does the bullet penetrate the block in this case?

48) Consider a frictionless track. A block of mass m1 = 5kg is released from A, 5m in vertical height. It makes a head-on elastic collision at B, at our reference level, with a block of mass m2 = 10kg that is initially at rest. Calculate the maximum height to which m1 rises after the collision.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pseudo Statistic said:
31) Gayle runs at a speed of 4m/s and dives on a sled, initially at rest on the top of a frictionless snow-covered hill. After she has descended a vertical distance of 5m, her brother, who is initially at rest, hops on her back and together they continue down the hill. What is their speed at the bottom of the hill if the total vertical drop is 15m? Gayle's mass is 50kg, the sled has a mass of 5kg, and her brother has a mass of 30kg.
You'll need a combination of conservation of energy and conservation of momentum to solve this one. (Hint: Treat the brother jumping on the sled as an inelastic collision.)

39) A 7g bullet, when fired from a gun into a 1kg block of wood held in a vise, penetrates the block to a depth of 8cm. This block of wood is placed on a frictionless horizontal surface, and a second 7g bullet is fired from the gun into the block. To what depth does the bullet penetrate the block in this case?
Assume that the depth of the penetration is proportional to the amount of KE lost in the collision of bullet with block. When the block is free to move, treat the collision as a perfectly inelastic one and calculate the loss of KE.

48) Consider a frictionless track. A block of mass m1 = 5kg is released from A, 5m in vertical height. It makes a head-on elastic collision at B, at our reference level, with a block of mass m2 = 10kg that is initially at rest. Calculate the maximum height to which m1 rises after the collision.
Again, a combination of conservation of energy and conservation of momentum is needed. Hint: Calculate how much KE m1 has after its collision.

Doc Al said:
You'll need a combination of conservation of energy and conservation of momentum to solve this one. (Hint: Treat the brother jumping on the sled as an inelastic collision.)
One question though, how do I model what's given to me initially in terms of energy equations? (The 4m/s and the 5m) Is it 0.5mv^2 + mgh = 0.5mv2^2 where h is 5m, v on the left side is 4m/s and v2 on the right side is unknown?

In 39, how would I proceed to calculating depth afterwards?
Thanks.

Pseudo Statistic said:
One question though, how do I model what's given to me initially in terms of energy equations? (The 4m/s and the 5m) Is it 0.5mv^2 + mgh = 0.5mv2^2 where h is 5m, v on the left side is 4m/s and v2 on the right side is unknown?
Exactly. Use that to find Gayle's speed just before her brother jumps on the sled.

In 39, how would I proceed to calculating depth afterwards?
Start by figuring out how much KE was required to produce the 8 cm penetration. Then, when you find how much KE was used up in the second case, you can tell how deep the bullet must have penetrated.

Doc Al said:
Exactly. Use that to find Gayle's speed just before her brother jumps on the sled.

Start by figuring out how much KE was required to produce the 8 cm penetration. Then, when you find how much KE was used up in the second case, you can tell how deep the bullet must have penetrated.
Thanks loads for the help, now I can solve these problems. :)

1. How is the depth of bullet penetration measured?

The depth of bullet penetration is typically measured by using a ruler or caliper to measure the distance from the surface of the block to the deepest point where the bullet has penetrated.

2. What factors affect the depth of bullet penetration?

The depth of bullet penetration can be affected by various factors such as the velocity of the bullet, the shape and size of the bullet, the material and density of the block, and the angle at which the bullet hits the block.

3. Does the type of firearm used affect the depth of bullet penetration?

Yes, the type of firearm used can greatly affect the depth of bullet penetration. For example, a high-powered rifle will likely penetrate deeper into a block than a handgun due to its higher velocity and energy.

4. Can the temperature of the block affect the depth of bullet penetration?

Yes, the temperature of the block can have an impact on the depth of bullet penetration. In colder temperatures, the block may be more brittle and therefore more likely to shatter upon impact, resulting in less penetration.

5. Is the depth of bullet penetration the same for every type of block?

No, the depth of bullet penetration can vary depending on the material and density of the block. For example, a bullet may penetrate deeper into a soft material like wood compared to a harder material like steel.