1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied To what extend is the first part of Strogatz's book a prerequisite for the second?

1. Mar 19, 2016 #1
    Here is the table of contents of Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos (by Strogatz)
    1. Overview
    2. Flows on the Line
    3. Bifurcations
    4. Flows on the Circle
    5. Linear Systems
    6. Phase Plane
    7. Limit Cycles
    8. Bifurcations Revisited
    9. Lorenz Equations
    10. One-Dimensional Maps
    11. Fractals
    12. Strange Attractors
    Last quarter, there was a course at my school that covered charters 1-7. I couldn't take the course because of a schedule overlap. This quarter, the follow up course is offered that will cover the rest of the book.

Would it be a bad idea to jump in? To what extend is the material in 1-7 a prerequisite to 8-12? Would it be possible to look up things as they show up without investing time equivalent to taking the first course?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Mar 27, 2016 #3
    This is one of my favorite texts to read and to recommend. I'd say that understanding the first half us required, but a first course shouldn't be strictly necessary. Reading the first half and working out the problems you find interesting or difficult should suffice. Also, there is a lecture series on YouTube of Dr Strogatz himself teaching a course with his text:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted