To what idea are you most loyal?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary: I am loyal to a political philosophy that allows me to live my life as I wish to live it, as free as possible from external influence.
Mercator said:
...The GDP growth is 7% per year. Which means that a few of the upper kastes get 7 % richer.

Probably the Germans would be content with that growth rate.

I can't support my opinion but I believe India's economy will outperform China's. Either way I hope both succeed.

Physics news on Phys.org
GENIERE said:
None that I know of but for Turkey I would be willing to trade San Fransisco, Berkely, Los Angeles, NYC, Boston, Philadelphia Eagles, Dallas Cowboys, Washington Redskins, Google Corp, Carter, Clinton(s) and Quebec. If Carter and Clinton are deal killers, I'll substitute three kilos of lard.
Willing to trade away part of your country?

Not much of am American are you?

Skyhunter said:
Willing to trade away part of your country?
Not much of am American are you?
Not only that. he'd try and sell quebec too :confused: :rofl:

Skyhunter said:
You misunderstood, I wasn't answering your question. That is the idea I am most loyal to.
WE ARE ONE
Sorry for that!:blushing: At first I thought you weren't answering to my ironic question but then... :cool:

GENIERE said:
None that I know of but for Turkey I would be willing to trade San Fransisco, Berkely, Los Angeles, NYC, Boston, Philadelphia Eagles, Dallas Cowboys, Washington Redskins, Google Corp, Carter, Clinton(s) and Quebec. If Carter and Clinton are deal killers, I'll substitute three kilos of lard.

Something's fishy here. If you're selling the 'Skins, 'Boys, and Eagles, you must be a Giants fan, but you're also selling New York. A Jersey boy?

Skyhunter said:
WE ARE ONE
so what does that mean?

loseyourname said:
Something's fishy here. If you're selling the 'Skins, 'Boys, and Eagles, you must be a Giants fan, but you're also selling New York. A Jersey boy?
Good work constable! :approve: When I was a young, but corporations tend to move you around quite a bit.

GENIERE said:
Probably the Germans would be content with that growth rate.
I can't support my opinion but I believe India's economy will outperform China's. Either way I hope both succeed.

Any mature economy would, but it's not going to happen.

What's happening in China is spectacular. But as well as in India, you see Capitalism in it's harshest form. Shanghainese are already notorius for their heartlessness, exploiting people from other provinces and treating them like s***. It's appaling and some of the things I see here are as close to slave work as it can get.

India I know less, I just know that I would not like to live or work there. Last time I had Indian visistors here, we had to bring them to three different hotels in three different cars, just because they belong to a different kaste.

But there's a chance you could be right about India/China. My guess is that in the end it will be decided by beliefs. India's poor do not protest their inhumane treatment, religion has paralyzed them. But the growing inequality will sooner or later cause serious problems in China. It's already happening in fact. The peasants see what riches are accumulating in the big centres and compare it to their miserable lives and THEY have been told they were equal and have no controlling religion in place that keeps them from taking what they think is theirs.

Smurf said:
so what does that mean?
We are all part of the same whole. We are one.

Skyhunter said:
We are all part of the same whole. We are one.
Yeah, I got that. But in what sense are we "one", what exactly are we "one" of?

Smurf said:
Yeah, I got that. But in what sense are we "one", what exactly are we "one" of?
That is the question that all of the philosophers, theologians, and scientists are trying to answer. In a word, Eternity.

Skyhunter said:
That is the question that all of the philosophers, theologians, and scientists are trying to answer. In a word, Eternity.
Great. Now how bout in a paragraph?

Smurf said:
Great. Now how bout in a paragraph?
Everyone and everything belongs.

Society should strive to assure every individual the freedom and opportunity to find their place. I don't know how society will get there. Presently I am not sold on any particular ideology. I am willing to consider any idea, so long as it does not contradict that premise.

Skyhunter said:
Society should strive to assure every individual the freedom and opportunity to find their place. I don't know how society will get there. Presently I am not sold on any particular ideology. I am willing to consider any idea, so long as it does not contradict that premise.
You're supposing a person has a predefined 'place' in which they will fit, or perhapse more than one to choose from, and that any individual can not necessarily be happy in any 'place'. Correct?

Smurf said:
You're supposing a person has a predefined 'place' in which they will fit, or perhapse more than one to choose from, and that any individual can not necessarily be happy in any 'place'. Correct?
And some can be happy almost anywhere.

So many in the world today do not have their basic needs met, while others live extravagantly. I don't believe that one should not be allowed to enjoy wealth, I just feel that if the commonwealth was utilized more for the common good we would all be happier. And we all would enjoy more opportunity to find our path, whether or not we ever reach a place that truly suits us.

I'm loyal to Jehovah's Witnesses so techniquely I'm supposed to be politically neutral, although I find it pretty hard to do sometimes. Summing up JW's stance on politics is pretty straight forward: We don't get invovled in politics or government unless it is directly effecting our freedom to participate in our religion. We also don't believe mankind will ever achieve world peace on its own.

Do you vote?

We don't vote for several reasons. One main reasons is if we voted our opinion, let's say against abortion (which we are) then we would in affect be forcing our believes on to someone else, the Bible teaches otherwise. We are suppost to convince people of the truth (hence all the door-to-door witnessing), not force them into accepting reasoning they don't understand. Also, we're simply against politics in general, I'd quote some passages from the Bible to support my point but I don't feel it's appropreate.

Entropy said:
We don't vote for several reasons. One main reasons is if we voted our opinion, let's say against abortion (which we are) then we would in affect be forcing our believes on to someone else, the Bible teaches otherwise. We are suppost to convince people of the truth (hence all the door-to-door witnessing), not force them into accepting reasoning they don't understand. Also, we're simply against politics in general, I'd quote some passages from the Bible to support my point but I don't feel it's appropreate.
I have so much more respect for JW's now. Please, quote away. Or perhapse we should start another thread in the religion subforum, I'd love to hear more.

I have so much more respect for JW's now. Please, quote away. Or perhapse we should start another thread in the religion subforum, I'd love to hear more.

Well, I can't afford to get anymore marks, I'm not going to risk getting in trouble (I accidentally kept posting a thread after it had been deleted and I didn't realize a mentor PM'ed me about it) if one of the mentors doesn't want me posting quotes from the Bible. Also, I thought the religion subforum was deleted.

Skyhunter said:
You know that's a very functionalist perspective, almost Vaneschian.

Smurf said:
You know that's a very functionalist perspective, almost Vaneschian.
Perhaps I should read the threads where you and Vanesch discussed ideology.

Nah, I can give you an overview of both our positions if you want though.

Smurf said:
Nah, I can give you an overview of both our positions if you want though.
Sure, that would be acceptable to me, and Vanesch could always object if you mischaracterize his position.