• News
  • Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
Anyone who commits acts of terror has very different Ideals than me

plover
Homework Helper
Smurf said:
Anyone who commits acts of terror has very different Ideals than me
There's a difference between the goals of terrorists, and the actions they think are acceptable to pursue those goals. If you believe (for example) that the U.S. should leave Iraq, or Israel should remove the settlers from the West Bank, then you accept causes for which people are committing terrorist acts, even though you may not accept that the causes should be pursued through terrorism. That is the sort of situation I was referring to.

I'm a passifist though, so no matter what they're fighting for I'm still against it.

plover
Homework Helper
It's not about whether or not violence is a good idea. One could think that (to continue the example) removing the settlers from the West Bank is a good idea without thinking that this goal should be pursued through violence. That wouldn't change the fact that people exist who are pursuing that goal through violence, but it also would not imply any acceptance of that violence.

studentx said:
War is in many ways a much more horrible thing than terrorism, spanning over a much longer period of time and completely changing cultures or societies.QUOTE]

Doesn't war sound so much more acceptable than terrrorism? Or should I say doesn't terrorism sound so much worse than war? War against Iraq doesn't sound as bad as American Terrorism upon innocent civilians in Iraq. You hit upon a point in the language. War is worse in the sense that it is unnecessary like the war in Iraq. This language tells us the American mass do no follow the physics of war being worse, but the emotion/tied to the psychological propoganda is what they are sensing. They believe in their minds war is less, but physics tells us the war Bush started is much more terror and overall. I'm ashamed, I'm among good people, but they are victims of a huge rate of stupidity which makes this murder and theft possibel by Bush.

omin, do you get extra credit in class for using the word "physics" in your posts?

GENIERE
Smurf said:
I'm a passifist though, so no matter what they're fighting for I'm still against it.
I’m sorry about your affliction but what does it have to with an anti-war stance?

(edit)Nevermind.. on reflection I see the connectivity.