1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Toaster Chord Tension Problem

1. Sep 25, 2015 #1

G.T

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1.26kg toaster is not plugged in. The coefficient of static friction between the toaster and a horizontal countertop is 0.395. To make the toaster start moving, you carelessly pull on its electric cord. For the cord tension to be as small as possible, you should pull at what angle above the horizontal?

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma
    Fantastic 5

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried using a regular F net equation, but was told that I need to derive somewhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2015 #2
    You need to draw a free body diagram and be careful to consider x and y components of the vectors.

What is the y component of acceleration (therefore the net y component of force divided by mass)?

4. Sep 25, 2015 #3

G.T

I have tried this, but it lead to me cancelling out my unknown? Is there a specific method/procedure that I should follow?

5. Sep 25, 2015 #4
    You did it wrong. Try again. Post vertical and horizontal equations here before you cancel anything out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted