Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Today (April 18, 2005) 50th anniversary of Einstein's death

1. Apr 18, 2005 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2005 #2
    Most people have no idea how Einstein changed their everyday lives in ways they can't even imagine.

What's sad, however, is this: on the front page of the Montreal Gazette today is a huge picture of the cardinals with news about the pope election; meanwhile, the anniversary of Einstein's death is on the second page, way down at the bottom, in a little square, barely mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2005
  4. Apr 18, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't "anniversary" equal to "Fest"(Ger.),as in a joyful celebration???Should we COMMEMORATE Einstein's death,or celebrate it...?:rolleyes:

Daniel.

5. Apr 18, 2005 #4
    My dictionary gives two definitions of anniversary, both a purely chronological one and the celebration one. I meant the former.

6. Apr 18, 2005 #5
    I think its traditional to celebrate a birthday of a man, and ''remember a man for who they were'' on their death date.

Einstine was a great man (whom I wish to speak to if I can just figure out v > c travel roflmfao) when it came to physics.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  7. Apr 18, 2005 #6
    wouldnt we all

8. Apr 18, 2005 #7
    "Anniversary" is purely chronological.

9. Apr 18, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Anniversary is not.It has double sense,as any dictionary would show.

Daniel.

10. Apr 18, 2005 #9
    I concede; however, I don't find "celebration" inherently implied by "anniversary". Just as we can celebrate an anniversary, so can we commemorate it.

11. Apr 18, 2005 #10
    Well, it is a newspaper, not an oldspaper!

12. Apr 18, 2005 #11
    What does this mean? I do think they should have gave Einstine a larger article and maybe a short bio. I wounder where he is now :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?