Today at School

• News
  • Thread starter Mattius_
  • Start date
member 5645
Zero said:
I don't know where you get your information, but the Bible does claim to be absolute truth.

Perhaps you can show me where this is said. To my knowledge, and while I consider myself versed I could be wrong, the bible never references itself (a common flaw pointed out my other religions). There are plenty of books of the bible that do not contain God's actual words. Therfore they are human words and are left to the ability to be wrong or interpreted differently to figure out what that person really meant. The Quran is all god's word sent to muhammad, transcribed by his peers (muhammad was illiterate).

phatmonky said:
But unlike the Quran, the bible is not the "all perfect true and absolute word of God". Thus, the bible is able to be moderated, and infered differently. The Quran calls for an absolute adherence, for God makes no errors, so all callings must be true and exact.
I thought you were a creationist?!

Mr. Robin Parsons said:
Please where in the Bible does Jesus Promote slavery?? pleeeeeease tell me where!!??
Sure.

"The slave will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it.* But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly.* Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given."* (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)

Here's one example. Basically, he's saying if a slave did something wrong but didn't know it, beat him lightly, if he did something wrong on purpose, beat the **** out of him. The word 'slave' is often translated as 'servant', but in the context of 1st cent. Judea, and the beatings, it should be translated as 'slave'. As a historical note, it was this passage that was used to justify the beatings of african american slaves in antebellum US.

Zero
phatmonky said:
Perhaps you can show me where this is said. To my knowledge, and while I consider myself versed I could be wrong, the bible never references itself (a common flaw pointed out my other religions). There are plenty of books of the bible that do not contain God's actual words. Therfore they are human words and are left to the ability to be wrong or interpreted differently to figure out what that person really meant. The Quran is all god's word sent to muhammad, transcribed by his peers (muhammad was illiterate).
It's in Timothy:"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." This is basically the same claim that the Muslims make about the Koran. Of course, either book is subject to human nature. (I'm an Atheist, so all "holy books" are equally fiction to me.)

member 5645
Chemicalsuperfreak said:
I thought you were a creationist?!
I often play the devil's advocate on this board, and my questions somehow become statments of my beliefs in many people's minds.

member 5645
Zero said:
It's in Timothy:"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." This is basically the same claim that the Muslims make about the Koran. Of course, either book is subject to human nature. (I'm an Atheist, so all "holy books" are equally fiction to me.)

But there is the difference. The Quran is only one man, so therefore he knows what else is in the same holy book.
Paul says that to Timothy in the middle of the new testament. This would have been before many other books were even written, so by that reasoning, how can that phrase be applicable to later books? This statement can only be applicable to the book of Timothy, and other books that Timothy was aware of at the time (the old testament, and....?)
Mulims also point out that the bible is works of multiple men, and there in lies the problem with contradiction. This same thought gives Christian's a reason to change their religion to rationalize the differences.
The bible is also released in different versions. NIV, King James, etc.

The Quran is only one version, one man giving the absolute word of god. It would be a GREAT blasphemy in the eyes of muslims to alter the Quran.
For Christians though, the human fallibility (sp?) leaves room for translation.

Zero
BTW, phatmonky and anyone who is interested, all you have to do is turn on the radio to hear the fundamentalist Christian rantings. Their beliefs are very similar to those of the Islamic terrorists, with the main difference being that they are soft and lazy in their SUVs.

Zero
phatmonky said:
A more thorough example of what I mean with the Timothy, and by a Muslim no less :)

http://bismikaallahuma.org/Bible/Commentary/paulinspire.htm
LOL, that doesn't mean anything either...well, I guess it does, but it doesn't...

Loo, I don't believe none of that crap, so I guess I have a hard time with it. Fundamentalist Christians and Muslims both claim that their holy books are written by their god.

member 5645
Zero said:
LOL, that doesn't mean anything either...well, I guess it does, but it doesn't...

Loo, I don't believe none of that crap, so I guess I have a hard time with it. Fundamentalist Christians and Muslims both claim that their holy books are written by their god.
Difference being that Christians who believe that the bible is the word of god throughout are the major minority, and have only developed that thought through their own choice, not the full word of the bible.
Muslims who believe the Quran is the perfect word of god are the MAJOR majority. It is then, in essence, that that one thought is the basic foundation for islam. The Quran references itself, is written by one man, is considered the true word of god, and is not allowed to be changed any. This is a big difference from Christianity, and you know it.

So, like I said. " Islam requires the belief that the Quran is the absolute, perfect, and uncorrupted word of god - and therefore, everything is to be taken literally because god does not make mistakes."
I have no idea why you insist on trying to show that christianity is the same when it most certainly is not the reality of the situation.

member 5645
Zero said:
BTW, phatmonky and anyone who is interested, all you have to do is turn on the radio to hear the fundamentalist Christian rantings. Their beliefs are very similar to those of the Islamic terrorists, with the main difference being that they are soft and lazy in their SUVs.
That's quite a stretch to compare the proverbial apple and orange.

phatmonky said:
I often play the devil's advocate on this board, and my questions somehow become statments of my beliefs in many people's minds.
"(Creationism) has as much founding as evolution. The fact is, even playing the devil's advocate, one can't prove one or the other."

-Phatmonkey.

Usually, when one plays Devil's advocate, they say they're playing Devil's advocate, instead of saying, "this is what I believe:"

member 5645
Chemicalsuperfreak said:
"(Creationism) has as much founding as evolution. The fact is, even playing the devil's advocate, one can't prove one or the other."

-Phatmonkey.

Usually, when one plays Devil's advocate, they say they're playing Devil's advocate, instead of saying, "this is what I believe:"

Where did I say that's what I believe? I said that creationism has as much founding as evolution. Perhaps I should have said as little?

Zero
phatmonky said:
That's quite a stretch to compare the proverbial apple and orange.
Why? The derangement is the same, even if the behavior is different...and the difference is in the soft life Americans lead, IMO.

Zero
phatmonky said:
Where did I say that's what I believe? I said that creationism has as much founding as evolution. Perhaps I should have said as little?
Perhaps you should take your pseudoscientific nonsense over to Theory development?

Zero
And, I think this has turned into a religion debate...so sorry.