What is the Limit for Today's Test on Logarithms and Trigonometry?

• Thread starter twoflower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Test
In summary: Ok, so in this case, you can use the Simpson's Rule to get:\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{x-\sqrt{1+x^{2}}}{\alpha\sqrt{1+x^{2}}(\sqrt{1+x^{2}}-x) x^{\alpha -1}}-1=0 Here is an example of how to do it in Excel:In summary, the limit for those alpha is 0.
twoflower
Hi all,

could you help me with the limit we had in today test please? Here it is:

Find out, for which [itex]\alpha \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] the limit exists and is finite:

[tex]
\lim_{x \rightarrow 0_{+}} \frac{ \log \left( \sqrt{1 + x^2} - x \right) - \sin \left( x^{\alpha} \right)}{x^{\alpha}}
[/tex]

and find the limit for those [itex]\alpha[/itex]

I tried it, but I had too many questionable steps there, so I won't post it here till I find out what is the right solution :smile:

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's take it gradually:
Let's take the most simple case,viz.[itex] \alpha =0 [/itex]

Can u compute the limit in that case??

Daniel.

PS.Provide the calculations and the result.

Ok, here is how I did it:

[tex]
\lim_{x \rightarrow 0_{+}} \frac{ \log \left( \sqrt{1 + x^2} - x \right) - \sin \left( x^{\alpha} \right)}{x^{\alpha}} =
[/tex]

[tex]
\lim_{x \rightarrow 0_{+}} \frac{ \log \left( 1 + \left(\sqrt{1 + x^2} - x - 1 \right) \right) }{x^{\alpha} \left( \sqrt{1 + x^2} - x - 1 \right)} . \lim_{x \rightarrow 0_{+}} \left( \sqrt{1 + x^2} - x - 1 \right) - \lim_{x \rightarrow 0_{+}} \frac{\sin \left( x^{\alpha} \right)}{x^{\alpha}} =
[/tex]

[tex]
0.\lim_{x \rightarrow 0_{+}} \frac{1}{x^{\alpha}} - \lim_{x \rightarrow 0_{+}} \frac{\sin \left( x^{\alpha} \right)}{x^{\alpha}}
[/tex]

In this place I thought that [itex]\alpha[/itex] must be < 0 so that the limit will be finite (because of the [itex]\frac{1}{x^{\alpha}}[/itex] limit). Then my steps are ok and in result the limit is 0 :smile:

[tex]
L=\lim_{x \rightarrow 0_{+}} \frac{ \ln \left( \sqrt{1 + x^2} - x \right) - \sin \left( x^{\alpha} \right)}{x^{\alpha}}
[/tex]

Case a)[itex] \alpha =0 [/itex]
Then
[tex] x^{\alpha}=1;\sin(x^{\alpha})=\sin 1 [/tex]

The limit becomes:
[tex] L=\lim_{x\searrow 0} \ln(\sqrt{1+x^{2}}-x) -\sin 1=0-\sin 1=-\sin 1 [/tex] (1)

Case b)[itex] \alpha >0 [/itex]
Then u can apply August L'Ho^spital rule to get:

[tex] \lim_{x\searrow 0} \frac{x-\sqrt{1+x^{2}}}{\alpha\sqrt{1+x^{2}}(\sqrt{1+x^{2}}-x) x^{\alpha -1}}-1 [/tex] (2)

U have 3 cases:

b1)[itex] \alpha>1 [/itex]
The limit is:
[tex] L=-\infty [/tex] (3)

b2)[itex]\alpha=1 [/itex]
The limit is:
[tex] L=-1-1=-2 [/itex] (4)

b3)[itex] 0< \alpha <1 [/itex]
The limit is:
[tex] L=0-1=-1 [/itex] (5)

I let u now consider the case "c)",when [itex] \alpha < 0[/itex].

Daniel.

What is the purpose of the "Today test - one limit"?

The purpose of the "Today test - one limit" is to evaluate the performance and capabilities of a specific system, process, or product within a set limit or constraint.

How is the "Today test - one limit" conducted?

The "Today test - one limit" is typically conducted by setting a specific constraint or limit for the system, process, or product and then evaluating its performance under that constraint through experiments, simulations, or observations.

What are some examples of "Today test - one limit" in scientific research?

Examples of "Today test - one limit" in scientific research include testing the maximum load capacity of a bridge, determining the maximum temperature at which a material can withstand without melting, or investigating the maximum speed at which a vehicle can travel without losing traction.

What are the benefits of conducting a "Today test - one limit"?

The benefits of conducting a "Today test - one limit" include identifying the strengths and weaknesses of a system, process, or product, determining its limitations and capabilities, and providing valuable data for further research and development.

How can the results of a "Today test - one limit" be used in practical applications?

The results of a "Today test - one limit" can be used to improve the design, performance, and safety of various systems, processes, and products. They can also be used to set standards and regulations for specific industries or applications.