Today's Birthdays: Rock'n'Roll (50)

• Thread starter kuengb
  • Start date
In summary: They've been cemented in rock n roll history for a long time now.In summary, The Beatles were the group that rocked in the 60's while The Stones were the group that rocked in the 50's and 60's.

I am a...

• Elvis man, Elvis woman

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Beatles man, Beatles woman

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Sorry, never heard of them.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
kuengb
Happy Birthday! On April 12th 1954 Bill Haleys released his unresistably cool song "Rock Around the Clock", that makes good ol' Rock'n'Roll almost thirty years ol'er than me. All I witnessed was it's reincarnation: Hail to the Strokes (at least until their second album).

So? Any Woodstock veterans or Rolling Stones groupies on this forum?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gotta be the stones, beatles didnt do rock n roll.

I didn't go to Woodstock ( I was too young), but I knew a couple of people that did. I have the original Life magazine edition devoted to Woodstock.

The Beatles were the group I grew up with in the mid 60's. Everyone loved Sgt Pepper's, but I never got more than lukewarm to it. I didn't care much for anything they did after that, I was more into underground music.

The 60's saw a lot of incredible bands.

Not an Elvis fan.

The Stones rocked. The Beatles were ok, but weren't a patch on Mick n Keef

To start with the Beatles were pretty much teeny popper music. All the 10-14 yr old girls were a tizzy about it. Being a sophisticated 14 yr old male I could not reduce myself to it. It was not until much later that I came to appreciate it. Meanwhile there were the Doors.

Integral said:
To start with the Beatles were pretty much teeny popper music. All the 10-14 yr old girls were a tizzy about it.
Lots of people say that (...so it has to be true :smile:). I do like a good bit of their songs, but I think it's not the way they were the non plus ultra when it comes to "beaty music" or guitar pop - and many people treat them just like that, like gods. The fact that they probably made the most important music does not mean they made the best.

And the Stones: I would respect them if they still would create new (and good!) music; instead they're just touring and making money with nostalgia and not with innovation. On the other hand: If one looks at Keef one must be happy the guy is still alive :biggrin: .

it's amazing, Keef has probably done more drugs, for longer than Ozzy Osbourne, but he still talks properly and seems to be in quite a good state. It must be cos Keef is double-hard.

jimmy p said:
it's amazing, Keef has probably done more drugs, for longer than Ozzy Osbourne, but he still talks properly and seems to be in quite a good state. It must be cos Keef is double-hard.

He just looks like a walking corpse

jimmy p said:

I've heard that he actually gets/had gotten blood transfusions from fans just so he cold keep doing drugs.

As for me, I like The Beatles. The Stones undeniably rocked, but the beatles did everything.

jimmy p said:
The Stones rocked. The Beatles were ok, but weren't a patch on Mick n Keef

early stones were brian jones's band, he was the leader
mick was just the singer

young girls were beatles fans, and totaly nuts about them
the guys like the stones

rock and roll will be gone by june, 1954 prediction by music trade mag variety

I knew mike lang,the woodstock promoter, would have gone but the pigs had other plans for my summer in 1969

early stones were brian jones's band, he was the leader
mick was just the singer

Yea the stones where brians jones's band but Mick and Keith wrote all of their classic songs.

And as for them not writing any innovative stuff anymore, are you really surprised? If you check their back catalogue of songs they don't really need to write new stuff.

What is the significance of "Today's Birthdays: Rock'n'Roll (50)"?

"Today's Birthdays: Rock'n'Roll (50)" is a celebration of the 50th anniversary of the birth of the genre of music known as Rock'n'Roll. It marks the day when the iconic song "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley and His Comets was released in 1954, sparking a new era of music and youth culture.

Who are some notable figures in Rock'n'Roll celebrating their birthdays today?

Some notable figures in Rock'n'Roll celebrating their birthdays today include Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Jerry Lee Lewis. These artists are considered pioneers and legends of the genre.

How has Rock'n'Roll evolved since its birth 50 years ago?

Rock'n'Roll has evolved significantly since its birth 50 years ago. It has branched off into various sub-genres such as punk, heavy metal, and alternative rock. It has also incorporated elements from other genres such as blues, country, and hip hop. The style and fashion associated with Rock'n'Roll have also evolved over the years.

What influence has Rock'n'Roll had on society and culture?

Rock'n'Roll has had a significant influence on society and culture. It has been a powerful force in shaping youth culture and challenging societal norms. Its rebellious and energetic nature has also inspired various social and political movements. Additionally, Rock'n'Roll has had a major impact on fashion, art, and film.

How is Rock'n'Roll celebrated on its 50th anniversary?

Rock'n'Roll is celebrated on its 50th anniversary through various events, concerts, and exhibitions around the world. Many radio stations also dedicate special programming to the genre and its history. Fans also celebrate by listening and dancing to their favorite Rock'n'Roll songs and sharing memories and stories about the genre's impact on their lives.

Back