Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Today's Birthdays: Rock'n'Roll (50)

1. Elvis man, Elvis woman

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Beatles man, Beatles woman

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. Sorry, never heard of them.

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Apr 18, 2004 #1
    Happy Birthday! On April 12th 1954 Bill Haleys released his unresistably cool song "Rock Around the Clock", that makes good ol' Rock'n'Roll almost thirty years ol'er than me. All I witnessed was it's reincarnation: Hail to the Strokes (at least until their second album).

So? Any Woodstock veterans or Rolling Stones groupies on this forum?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2004 #2
    Gotta be the stones, beatles didnt do rock n roll.

4. Apr 18, 2004 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I didn't go to Woodstock ( I was too young), but I knew a couple of people that did. I have the original Life magazine edition devoted to Woodstock.

The Beatles were the group I grew up with in the mid 60's. Everyone loved Sgt Pepper's, but I never got more than lukewarm to it. I didn't care much for anything they did after that, I was more into underground music.

The 60's saw a lot of incredible bands.

Not an Elvis fan.

5. Apr 18, 2004 #4

jimmy p

Gold Member

The Stones rocked. The Beatles were ok, but werent a patch on Mick n Keef

6. Apr 18, 2004 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To start with the Beatles were pretty much teeny popper music. All the 10-14 yr old girls were a tizzy about it. Being a sophisticated 14 yr old male I could not reduce myself to it. It was not until much later that I came to appreciate it. Meanwhile there were the Doors.

7. Apr 19, 2004 #6
    Lots of people say that (...so it has to be true :smile:). I do like a good bit of their songs, but I think it's not the way they were the non plus ultra when it comes to "beaty music" or guitar pop - and many people treat them just like that, like gods. The fact that they probably made the most important music does not mean they made the best.

And the Stones: I would respect them if they still would create new (and good!) music; instead they're just touring and making money with nostalgia and not with innovation. On the other hand: If one looks at Keef one must be happy the guy is still alive :biggrin: .

8. Apr 19, 2004 #7

jimmy p

Gold Member

it's amazing, Keef has probably done more drugs, for longer than Ozzy Osbourne, but he still talks properly and seems to be in quite a good state. It must be cos Keef is double-hard.

9. Apr 19, 2004 #8
    He just looks like a walking corpse

10. Apr 20, 2004 #9
    I've heard that he actually gets/had gotten blood transfusions from fans just so he cold keep doing drugs.

As for me, I like The Beatles. The Stones undeniably rocked, but the beatles did everything.

11. Apr 20, 2004 #10
    early stones were brian jones's band, he was the leader
    mick was just the singer

young girls were beatles fans, and totaly nuts about them
    the guys like the stones

rock and roll will be gone by june, 1954 prediction by music trade mag variety

I knew mike lang,the woodstock promoter, would have gone but the pigs had other plans for my summer in 1969

12. Apr 25, 2004 #11
    Yea the stones where brians jones's band but Mick and Keith wrote all of their classic songs.

And as for them not writing any innovative stuff anymore, are you really surprised? If you check their back catalogue of songs they dont really need to write new stuff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?