Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Today's Events

1. Feb 7, 2006 #1
    Under the whos online bit on the forum home I'd added some neat tidbits. The history channel tv schedule (modern marvels, once it recaches the rss it will include all shows), sciam articles and bcc on this day fun facts.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2006 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cool! Though, maybe you should have pointed out you meant on the main forum index page. I went to the "who's online" link first. D'oh! :rolleyes:

4. Feb 7, 2006 #3

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wasn't the who's online list alphabetized in the recent past or did I accidentally flip an option somewhere?

5. Feb 7, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It used to be alphabetized. Greg recently unalphabetized (or I guess more correctly, dropped alphabetizing) it to speed up the server...or something like that.

6. Feb 8, 2006 #5

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Alright, just wondering. Thanks for the addition, Greg!

7. Feb 8, 2006 #6
    Wow, this concept is really cool!! Thanks, Greg!!

8. Feb 8, 2006 #7

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Cool feature! Thanks!

Edit- Is there a way to link to the articles mentioned? They aren't links, and I get an access denied page when I click the header at the top of each category.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  9. Feb 8, 2006 #8
    ok now try

10. Feb 8, 2006 #9

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Works fine. Thanks! :smile:

11. Feb 8, 2006 #10
  12. Feb 8, 2006 #11

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I see birthdays on the calendar, but will they still show up on the main page (for active members)? I guess not, since it's check's birthday. :surprised

13. Feb 8, 2006 #12
    Refresh and clear your cache

14. Feb 9, 2006 #13

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Okay, did so. Birthdays still aren't listed on the main page. Using Firefox v. 1.0.7.

15. Feb 9, 2006 #14

VietDao29

Homework Helper

I think it 's not there anymore. Have tested it with I.E, Opera, and Firefox. And none of them has it shown up.

16. Feb 9, 2006 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The birthdays haven't been listed since "Todays' Events" were added.

17. Feb 10, 2006 #16
    Taken off for the time being until I can figure something out.

18. Feb 13, 2006 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...I'm trying to figure out which I liked better...while "Today's Events" are currently not appearing anywhere in the Nexus skin, they were previously down at the bottom of the screen. Now, in Prime, they're over on the right side and a bunch of stuff has been removed from the tables on the main forum index (like #'s of posts and names of mentors).

When I'm viewing on a full-sized monitor, I prefer them as they currently are in Prime, because I actually see they are there, rather than when they were all the way at the bottom, and I didn't even notice them until you pointed it out. On the other hand, when I'm on my laptop, it all seems a bit cramped looking, even though the actual size of anything didn't really change, just some extra spaces were removed and some columns taken out of the table that really aren't that important to me. I think it's the lack of the extra space that makes it seem cramped.

19. Feb 13, 2006 #18

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I really like the "Today's Events" et al on the right-side layout of Prime.

Is it possible to put (say) the last two or three posts in each forum section?
    Maybe the time stamp can be simplified... and maybe color coded to distinguish today's posts from those of other days [to drop the words today or yesterday].
    To reduce clutter, one could drop the word "Viewing" in each forum section.

20. Feb 13, 2006 #19
    There is one section on the right side that lists the last ten PF posts. The rest of your comment confuses me, can you explain?

21. Feb 13, 2006 #20

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the last ten posts in all forums are nice...
    but it might be nice to see (say) the last two or three posts in General Physics, and in Classical Physics, and in...

To add more stuff to the PF homepage, I was suggesting removing some items:

The different forums titles (in table column 2) have the form
    Is "Viewing" necessary?

The last post entries (in table column 3) for each forum have the form
    Can "Today" be replaced by a change in font color or boldness, and "Yesterday" be replaced a change in font color or lack-of-boldness? Maybe the last-post info can be put on one line.

Another space-saving idea... the thread count column could be removed by putting the forum's thread-count in a small font under the icon in table column 1.

With changes like these, there may be more room to put in the last two or last three posts in each forum.

...just a thought.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?