Understanding Proportions in Dye Mixtures

In summary, the conversation discusses the proportions of red, yellow, and blue dyes needed to make orange and green dyes. When equal amounts of green and orange are mixed, the proportion of yellow dye in the new mixture is 11/30, which may differ from the initial prediction of 3/8. The given explanation provides a correct and logical reasoning for this difference.
Mag|cK
To make an orange dye, 3 parts of red dye are mixed with 2 parts of yellow dye. To make a green dye, 2 parts of blue dye are mixed with 1 part of yellow dye. If equal amounts of green and orange are mixed, what is the proportion of yellow dye in the new mixture?

This is not a homework question btw. My answer is 3/8. Yet the correct answer is 11/30. Can anyone explain why?

I don't agree with the explanation here:
http://apps.collegeboard.com/qotd/explain.do?questionId=432&src=E

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mag|cK said:
To make an orange dye, 3 parts of red dye are mixed with 2 parts of yellow dye. To make a green dye, 2 parts of blue dye are mixed with 1 part of yellow dye. If equal amounts of green and orange are mixed, what is the proportion of yellow dye in the new mixture?

This is not a homework question btw. My answer is 3/8. Yet the correct answer is 11/30. Can anyone explain why?

I don't agree with the explanation here:
http://apps.collegeboard.com/qotd/explain.do?questionId=432&src=E

lol why would you not agree with it? it's correct and good reasoning.

haha. i get it now. thx.

What is the format of the SAT math question?

The SAT math question is typically presented in a multiple-choice format with four answer choices, labeled A, B, C, and D. However, there may also be grid-in questions where students must provide their own numerical answer.

How many math questions are on the SAT?

There are 58 math questions on the SAT, which make up 50% of the total test. The questions are divided into two sections: a 25-minute no-calculator portion and a 55-minute calculator portion.

What topics are covered in the SAT math section?

The SAT math section covers a wide range of topics, including algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and data analysis. It also includes some advanced topics such as complex numbers, logarithms, and matrices.

Can I use a calculator on the SAT math section?

Yes, you are allowed to use a calculator on one of the two math sections. However, some questions may require you to solve them without a calculator, so it is important to have a strong understanding of mathematical concepts.

What is the scoring system for the SAT math section?

The SAT math section is scored on a scale of 200-800, with 200 being the lowest possible score and 800 being the highest. Each correct answer earns you 1 point, while incorrect or omitted answers do not result in any point deductions.