Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Today's the day!

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Okay, everybody, this is it. Polls are open now in the eastern USA. Get out there and vote, unless of course you're in an early-voting state and have done it already, and then buy some popcorn for watching the election results tonight.

I'm going to do it right after my 10:00 class.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Hasn't Obama won yet?

Seriously, though, I'll be glued to the BBC tonight when the results come in!

4. Nov 4, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Slacker! My vote was entered 10 minutes after the polls opened.

(Hoping for a landslide!)

5. Nov 4, 2008 #4

Evo

6. Nov 4, 2008 #5

turbo

Gold Member

My wife and I voted weeks ago by absentee ballot. In Maine, you don't have to prove any hardship to get absentee ballots - just phone the town clerk and ask for one. They mail out the ballots and cross your name off the registrar's list just as if you had gone to the polls in person and gotten a ballot there.

7. Nov 4, 2008 #6
    I voted about 45 minutes ago. I had to stand in line for about a half an hour, not bad at all.

Facebook is keeping a tally of people reporting that they voted today. So far about 700,000 Facebook users (mostly college students) have voted, and it's going up at a rate of about 100 people per second.

Edit: Also, it allows you to find your nearest Ben & Jerry's store for your free election day ice cream.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  8. Nov 4, 2008 #7
    I'm ecstatic about this whole thing. I want Obama to win.

9. Nov 4, 2008 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Free ice cream and free coffee? I wish that sort of thing happened during our elections!

10. Nov 4, 2008 #9
    Good luck to all the voters and I hope there is no violence before during or after.

11. Nov 4, 2008 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seconded.

As long as there's no funny stuff going on, I trust everybody will be calm.

12. Nov 4, 2008 #11

Evo

My boss took the day off to shuttle poor and elderly people to the polls.

13. Nov 4, 2008 #12

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here in Oregon, where we have vote by mail, if you didn't mail your ballot in by Friday, it won't arrive in time to be counted.(they were mailed out on the 17th of Oct.) However, we do have drop off locations where you can hand deliver your ballot until 8:00pm today. I voted early last week.

14. Nov 4, 2008 #13

Evo

Love your avatar.

15. Nov 4, 2008 #14

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I voted and there was virtually no line. There were 2 ahead of me at the check-in table, and if I hadn't held the door open for them I would have had no wait at all. There were no McCain Palin signs anywhere in sight. Other placards outside were modestly represented including of course Obama Biden. Total elapsed time 5 minutes.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I got a sticker they handed out after voting that says "My Vote Counted". In the primaries the sticker only said "I voted". This message is more reassuring.

16. Nov 4, 2008 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ben & Jerry's is giving away ice cream?! :frown: I'm so deprived! We don't have a Ben & Jerry's store around here. I want my free ice cream too!!! :cry:

That's cool. Actually, now that I've realized the university here always gives the day off for election day, I was thinking I should look into being a poll worker. From the look of the little old ladies working the polls today, they could use some younger help or we won't have any poll workers soon! :bugeye:

It takes forever to vote with the electronic machines though, as you have to go through one slow page by one slow page, and of course, then I'm scrutinizing the printed tape making sure it's recording things correctly.

The local elections are quite the joke though. I had been worried I'd missed knowing about someone running for an office, because I'd only see one name advertised anywhere running for that office, and couldn't figure out what my choices were. Heh...there were no choices, that's why I couldn't find anything on any other candidates. :rolleyes: Though, I'm still desperately waiting for someone to run against our one county circuit court judge. He is so unbelievably backward, but nobody ever runs against him! He still insists on doing jury selection via an answering machine recording! Yes, answering machine. Not even voicemail, not posted on a website, but jurors have to wait until the secretary records the answering machine message at the end of the day, and then call in on the ONE phone line to hear it. :rolleyes: This isn't just that they don't have the money to do anything more updated, it's that he's so technologically challenged, he doesn't want to do it any other way. And, yep, sometimes the tape goes bad, or the secretary forgets to do the recording, and jurors don't know if they should show up or not. So, I'm just DYING for someone to run against him! Oh, he'd also prefer to make everyone come in for an extra day of jury duty on a trial rather than just stay an extra hour past 5:00 and get it done. He's really out of touch.

Just thought I'd gripe about something other than the presidential election. Just keeping my fingers crossed that people come to their senses and realize Obama isn't the golden child the media has been portraying him to be. If not, when it comes to income redistribution time, I think all Obama voters should have to redistribute their income to the McCain voters first.

17. Nov 4, 2008 #16
    I've never even been to the US and I'm eagerly awaiting the results! :biggrin:

18. Nov 4, 2008 #17

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Does that mean you will be refusing your tax cut?

19. Nov 4, 2008 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank God this is finally almost over.

I realized last night that I can cite the approximate [latest] poll results for every State, by memory.

20. Nov 4, 2008 #19

berkeman

Not sure I understand your post, but I'll just assume you don't live here in the US. Election day is one of the most cooperative, friendly days there is here. Long lines with people being polite and helpful, encouraging comments from everyone. We all understand how important an obligation it is to vote, and we feel good that we live in a country where we are free to do so.

Best wishes to all who vote today, and here's hoping that the outcomes go well for us all moving into the future. :smile:

21. Nov 4, 2008 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL! What tax cut? Didn't you know that I'm rich! :rolleyes: I sure didn't know it, but being a single, professional, childless woman apparently makes me rich. By the time Bush's tax cuts are phased out (not something I have a problem with, by itself, I didn't think the country could afford those in the first place), and Obama's definition of middle class slides a bit lower by the time he takes office, I'd not only not have a tax cut (I'm in the "your taxes won't go up" category currently, which does not mean they'll go down either), I'm pretty sure I'll be paying more with his plan. And, who cares if I get a piddling tax cut anyway, when I'll be paying that much and more extra to heat my home in winter under his screwball energy plans. And I guess I shouldn't ask for a raise or promotion in the next four years, because I'll just pay the difference in taxes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?