Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TOEFL English

1. Jul 26, 2004 #1
    Anyone can introduce me the best website to learn TOEFL english?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2004 #2

jimmy p

Gold Member

What is TOEFL english?

4. Jul 26, 2004 #3
    jimmy, everyone knows what TOELF english is. Its when you send messages in english to your left toe. Its also used to write messages in english to those crazy little elves.

-that was a really horrible attempt at humor.

5. Jul 26, 2004 #4
    I didn't know what it stood for either, until I looked it up...Test of English as a Foreign Language.

Saint, what exactly are you looking for? Do you mean a site that teaches English as a foreign language?

6. Jul 27, 2004 #5
    Doesnt life at where you are living offer you any good?
    Why do you need to get TOEFL score while it is actually only for North American universities addmission ? I cant really find myself a reason as to why you leave and why you are in need of that test ??? ~lol~

7. Jul 27, 2004 #6
    I am sorry I am just trying to figure out something so as to be able to give you some more help...only in case you actually need it..., *lol*

8. Jul 27, 2004 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, you could visit the thread on Grammar :-) I don't know how people from outside the US prepare for the TOEFL. I've only known of people already living in the US as immigrants who have needed to take it, and then there are classes available through local community programs or high schools. One of my friends who took the test said the key to doing well on the essay part (assuming that still exists) was using simple sentences and simple vocabulary. She had to take the test twice. The first time, she scored poorly because she tried to "show off" by using complex sentences and more difficult vocabulary words, and that led her to make more mistakes and score lower. The second time, she kept everything very simple and didn't make mistakes, so scored higher.

9. Jul 27, 2004 #8
    not true. A lot of universities worldwide request TOEFL from foreign students

10. Jul 27, 2004 #9
    My friends prepared TOEFL by doing lots of sample tests or past test papers. There should be lots of resources in libraries. I think TOEFL score is needed if you want to study in the UK as well, not only in USA. TOEFL isn't a tough exam if you have good English foundation. Good luck.

11. Jul 27, 2004 #10
    I am sorry, I actually have never taken any English tests and it is also out of any necessity for me to do that anyway. I didn't know its score is needed in so many a country like that...
    I may be as many people usually call me an *over-sensitive* person, so I only think that what I write or wrote is only due to my own over-sensitivity.
    I honestly only type down randomly what I am thinking in actuality...I should sound strange to all the people who read what has been posted by me but I have never thought that I was strange myself at all at that time in that post or any of my previous ones, I truly didn't get a feel of that, but if it were odd or something, I would like to say sorry to the original poster because my ideas weren't properly understood...
    And I would also like to say thank you for that though, I really don't have any bad *images*/*thoughts* about you at all...Please also do not misunderstand me...

12. Jul 27, 2004 #11
    Universities in the UK require the IELTS (which is a lot harder), not the TOEFL. As a foreign student applying for an American University, don't you have to sit for the SAT Verbal as well?

13. Jul 27, 2004 #12
    You can check Google: TOEFL or visit Cambridge's (England) homepage for more information! I'll find the necesary links for you, Saint, if you want me to? I have a paper with a survey of where to find info on that sort of tests! I'll find it tomorrow!

14. Jul 27, 2004 #13
    If you are going to take the TOEFL you will received a little book with exercises and a CD to practice with real TOEFL exams (old ones of course). Once you make the "appointment" to take the test they will send you those things. But let me tell you, if you were capable of writting in this phorum, then the TOEFL is going to be very easy for you, it's every day english, not as the GRE in which the people that have english as a second language rarely do well.

15. Jul 28, 2004 #14
    I have the Cambridge O level English, I studied in UK before, my English qualification is enough.

16. Jul 28, 2004 #15
    Really ? I didn't know that, but most of the posts you have made do not show your English is at all influenced by British English though...
    I asked some of my friends yesterday for 2 CD's and some materials, I can scan and send all to you via email if you are still interested..true.

17. Jul 29, 2004 #16
    Saint, don't you come from Malaysia where you take the STPMs or SPMs (?) instead of the O-Levels?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?