Why Do Tof Mass Spectrometers Have Unlimited m/z Range?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary: I would say that ion trap has a better range as it can measure up to 6000 m/z values. However, ion trap is more sensitive to atmospheric contamination and is more expensive.
gravenewworld
Why is it that time of flight mass spectrometers have basically an unlimited range of m/z values that they can analyze? I have looked, but can not find a definitive answer.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Maybe this can be moved to a physics or engineering forum since it seems we don't have any analytical chemists?

This looks suspiciously like homework. Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't. If it is, we do want to see you take a stab at it. If it isn't, I, at least, still want you to take a stab at it.

What are the relationships between mass and instrument output signals for TOF and other types of mass spectrometry?

Homework no, curiosity yes. If this were homework it probably would have been overdue by now. What I do know about mass spec

-m/z range <2000 for quadrapole mass detector
-m/z range for quad. ion-trap is <6000

I know m/z for TOF can be calculated by t^2/(d^2/2Ve)

Mass is proportional to "time of flight" squared. Compared to "mass is proportional to the inverse of the accelerating potential" for a Dempster type mass spec, do you see any advantages when you consider the resolutions and uncertainties in measurements of time and electric potential?

Ah why didn't this hit me over the head before? You only have to measure the time it takes for a substance to travel a fixed distance with fixed potential. Then you can simply find m.

Dempster type mass spec

I am not familiar with this type of mass spec.

BTW, the reason I asked this question is because we have TOF mass specs at the pharm company where I work (I do medicinal chem). I just always wondered how they worked. I assume they use them to measure proteins etc. since they usually have large mws.

"Dempster" is the beast that bends flight paths through a magnetic field.

Why is it that time of flight mass spectrometers have basically an unlimited range of m/z values that they can analyze? I have looked, but can not find a definitive answer.
certainly not the best of the mass spectrometers in relevance to precision and accuracy;currently on a lab session based of TOF, it's not the most convenient instrument to use of the mass spectrometers.

1. Why do TOF mass spectrometers have unlimited m/z range?

TOF (time-of-flight) mass spectrometers have unlimited m/z (mass-to-charge) range because they use a pulsed ionization method. This means that the ions are accelerated by an electric field and then allowed to travel a certain distance before being detected. The time it takes for the ions to reach the detector is directly proportional to their m/z ratio. This allows for a wider range of m/z values to be detected compared to other mass spectrometry methods.

2. What is the advantage of having an unlimited m/z range in TOF mass spectrometry?

The advantage of having an unlimited m/z range in TOF mass spectrometry is that it allows for the detection of both low and high mass ions in the same experiment. This means that a wider range of molecules can be analyzed, making it a versatile tool for various research applications.

3. Are there any limitations to the unlimited m/z range of TOF mass spectrometers?

While TOF mass spectrometers have a wider range compared to other mass spectrometry methods, they still have limitations. For example, they may have lower sensitivity and resolution for higher m/z values compared to other methods such as quadrupole mass spectrometry. Additionally, the accuracy of the m/z values may decrease at higher ranges.

4. How is the unlimited m/z range of TOF mass spectrometers achieved?

The unlimited m/z range of TOF mass spectrometers is achieved by using a reflectron, which is a curved electric field that reflects the ions back towards the detector. This allows for longer flight times and thus, a wider range of m/z values to be detected.

5. Can the m/z range of TOF mass spectrometers be adjusted?

Yes, the m/z range of TOF mass spectrometers can be adjusted by changing the strength of the electric field used to accelerate the ions. This can be useful for targeting specific m/z ranges in an experiment or for optimizing the instrument's performance for different types of samples.