Solving Quantum Control Theory Problem with Toffoli Gate Evolution

In summary: I)In summary, the speaker is working on a problem in quantum control theory where they are trying to find a test case for the ternary Toffoli gate. They are using a specific basis set and have numerically calculated a 72-dimensional Lie group, which seems inconsistent. They are also having trouble expressing the Toffoli gate using elements of the basis set. The other speaker suggests using e^{iHt} instead of e^{iH_i t_i} I and also mentions a possible Hamiltonian for the gate.
Kreizhn
For the sake of simplicity, I'm dropping unnecessary constants like [itex] \hbar [/itex]. I'm working on a problem in quantum control theory, and trying to find a test case to synthesize the ternary Toffoli gate. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find a basis that admits a possible solution.

In order to remove the control theoretical aspect from this problem and make it only quantum mechanical, if (X,Y,Z) are the two-level Pauli spin matrices, I have the following basis vectors

[tex]B= \left\{ I \otimes I \otimes X, I \otimes I \otimes Y, I \otimes X \otimes I, I \otimes Y \otimes I, X \otimes I \otimes I, Y \otimes I \otimes I, Z \otimes Z \otimes Z \right\} [/tex]

and I'm trying to create the Toffoli gate

[tex] T=\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ & 1 \\ && 1 \\ &&& 1 \\ &&&&1 \\ &&&&&1 \\ &&&&&& 0 & 1 \\ &&&&&& 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

Now according to numerical calculations, the basis set spans a 72-dimensional Lie group(which seems wrong since it should only span a 64 dimensional space). In any case, the problem seems to be that there's no way to express the Toffoli gate as a discrete time evolution of the identity operator using elements of the basis set, that is

[tex] T = e^{i H_n t_n} e^{i H_{n-1} t_{n-1}} \cdots e^{i H_1 t_1} I [/tex]

where [itex] t_i > 0, H_i \in B [/itex] for all i=1,...,n.

So to sum up, I have numerically computed a seemingly inconsistent dimension of the Lie Group, and in any case it seems that despite having a suitable quorum to construct the Toffoli gate, I am unable to. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, you're right that you can't write the gate in terms of Hamiltonians acting on each qubit (because it creates entangled states), but you should be able to write the whole thing as e^{iHt}. Also you may have an extra 8 dimensions from the I you have in the equation
[tex]T = e^{i H_n t_n} e^{i H_{n-1} t_{n-1}} \cdots e^{i H_1 t_1} I [/tex]
I don't think you need the I at the end because each e^{iH_i t_i} is a 2x2 matrix.

I think the Hamiltonian is [tex]|11\rangle\langle 11|\otimes (\sigma_x - I)[/tex]

1. What is the Toffoli gate and how does it relate to quantum control theory?

The Toffoli gate, also known as the Controlled-Controlled-Not (CCN) gate, is a quantum logic gate that operates on three qubits. It is used in quantum control theory to implement controlled operations on multiple qubits, allowing for the manipulation of quantum states and the solution of optimization problems.

2. What is the significance of using Toffoli gate evolution in solving quantum control theory problems?

Toffoli gate evolution allows for the efficient implementation of controlled operations, which are essential in solving quantum control theory problems. It enables the manipulation of quantum states in a way that classical computers cannot, leading to more accurate and faster solutions to complex optimization problems.

3. How does the Toffoli gate compare to other quantum gates used in control theory?

The Toffoli gate is unique in that it allows for the implementation of controlled operations on multiple qubits at once. This makes it more efficient and powerful than other quantum gates, such as the CNOT gate, which can only operate on two qubits at a time.

4. What are the challenges in implementing Toffoli gate evolution in quantum control theory?

One of the main challenges in implementing Toffoli gate evolution is the need for precise and stable control of the quantum system. Any external noise or interference can disrupt the gate operation and affect the accuracy of the solution. Additionally, the number of required gates and the complexity of the quantum circuit can also present challenges in practical implementations.

5. How is Toffoli gate evolution being used in real-world applications of quantum control theory?

Toffoli gate evolution is being used in a variety of real-world applications, such as quantum error correction, quantum cryptography, and quantum simulation. It is also being explored for potential use in quantum computing algorithms, particularly in solving optimization problems in fields like chemistry and finance.