Optimizing Tolerances for Chain Link and Bolt Connections: A 3 Sigma Approach

In summary: Why would the tolerances for a 3sigma system widen?In summary, the chain's play per link can be narrowed down to 0.026mm by using a production and measurement system with a CP of 1.
f00drunner
My problem is as following. I have a chain with "n" transitions between the chain link and the bolt. Now the whole chain rests without strain and you pull it, it elongates "x" millimeters.

I have to calculate the maximum accepted play of each transition between a bolt and a chain link in relation to "n" and "xmax" with a probability of 3 sigma.

So for example I have a chain of 15 transitions, the chain is allowed to elongate 0,4 mm, how much play is the maximum for each borehole/bolt.

I am honestly lost at this. I tried googling it for honestly two hours, but it seems like I have no idea what I am even looking for.

Engineering news on Phys.org
f00drunner said:
"n" transitions between the chain link and the bolt.
Google "quadrature."

Residual sum of squares being the one?
Sorry if I seem dumb or not proactive enough, but I am honestly at a loss, tried reading 10 page articles and much more, but I just don't seem to grasp the full problem.

So it seems your worst case scenario shouldn't exceed 0.4mm, so you would need to assume ALL the links are not perfect.

Exactly, that is also what I already have written down here. Problem is that I also need the solution for a probability of 3ς (=99,7%), which is a problem I have trouble solving.

Edit: I just reread my posts and saw that I didnt really elaborate on the kicker of the problem.
I am all focused on tolerances. Let's say the bolt has a diameter of 10-0,4mm and the hole a diameter of 10+0,4mm, the play ranges from 0...0,8mm. Both dimensions are gauss-distributed around the middle of the tolerance (so the bolt around 10,2mm). Now I feel like the problem is a lot clearer.

Last edited:
Likes bsheikho
I'm trying to learn from your example myself. Couldn't you define your 3 sigma point (or 3 standard deviations away from the perfect) as being your worst but acceptable tolerance. And your mean as the perfect scenario.

That was what I was also trying to do. What really confuses me is that I have two tolerances per play that interact and have nothing to do with each other.

I guess each part would be manufactured differently, so each would have its own tolerance. But what you said makes a lot of sense, the hole with the positive tolerance, the bolt with the negative tolerance.

How many degrees of freedom do you have in the bolt/link system? n
Your tolerance is 0.4 mm.
You tolerance per degree of freedom is 0.4/n. I will call this x for simplicity.

You have to fit 3 SD (99.7%) into x. So 1 SD = x/3. That is your tolerance. You can apply this symmetrically for bolt and link.

Introduce a manufacturing system (production plus measurement) with a CP of at least 1.

So what you are saying is, that If I want my chain to elongate less than 0,4mm over 15 links, I get an "x" (play per link) of 0,026mm.
So if i now want to achieve 3 sigma, i have to divide these 0,026mm by three?

From my understanding, shouldn't the 3sigma compared to a worst-case approach widen the tolerances?

1. What is a tolerance management problem?

A tolerance management problem is a situation where there is a discrepancy between the desired or specified level of tolerance for a particular product or process, and the actual level of tolerance achieved. This can result in issues such as product failures, quality control problems, and increased costs.

2. How can tolerance management problems be identified?

Tolerance management problems can be identified through thorough testing and measurement of products or processes. This can involve using specialized equipment, conducting statistical analysis, and comparing results to the specified tolerance levels.

3. What are the consequences of not addressing tolerance management problems?

If tolerance management problems are not addressed, it can lead to a variety of negative consequences. These can include product failures, decreased customer satisfaction, increased costs, and damage to the company's reputation.

4. What strategies can be used to manage tolerance issues?

There are several strategies that can be used to manage tolerance issues. These include improving manufacturing processes, implementing tighter quality control measures, using more precise measurement techniques, and investing in better equipment.

5. How can tolerance management problems be prevented?

Preventing tolerance management problems involves taking proactive measures to ensure that products and processes are within the specified tolerance levels. This can include regular testing and monitoring, implementing effective quality control procedures, and continuously improving manufacturing processes.