'Tomorrow' host Tom Snyder dies at 71

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Tom Snyder, a well-known talk show host, has died after a long struggle with leukemia. His interviews were popular for their humor and light-hearted approach to news reporting.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- Talk show host Tom Snyder, whose smoke-filled interviews were a staple of late night television, has died after a struggle with leukemia. He was 71. [continued]
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/30/obit.snyder.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories [Broken]

I have been a fan of Snyder since his early days as an anchor of NBC news in Los Angeles. While Snyder essentially pioneered the light-hearted approach to news broadcasts that we see today - adding some humor to the stuffy traditional style of the time - he also managed to get into trouble on a regular basis. IIRC, he lost his job at NBC news when he started kidding his co-anchor, Trisha Toyota, by repeatedly citing the car slogan, "try a Toyota". And though destined to be a controversial figure, Snyder was the first to make the news entertaining. My dad and I watched him every night for the comedy as much as the news.

From there he went to The Tomorrow Show, which I watched for many years. I remember him talking one night with a comedian and good friend - forget his name - about an evening at an expensive Los Angeles restaurant. After getting exceedingly drunk, they noticed two suits of armor in the lobby. Somehow they managed to get into the armor and started greeting guests with a sword and lance, which nearly got them arrested.

RIP Tom. You gave us many great hours of laughter and entertainment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I remember when his eyebrows fell off.

His eyebrows fell off? Do you mean from chemo-therapy?

Or was that a joke about his eyebrows? :biggrin:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
His eyebrows fell off? Do you mean from chemo-therapy?

Or was that a joke about his eyebrows? :biggrin:
No, he said it was from stress, it was kind of funny.

I liked his Tomorrow show.

My favorite episode was Omar the Baker - the guy who made a good living panhandling. He explained the secrets to successful panhandling - namely, the importance of having a professional appearance and location, location, location. You make a lot more money panhandling in the men's room of high class restaraunts than you do on a street corner, especially if your attire makes you look like you belong in a high class restaraunt. It's easier to get a $100 dollars to pay for a business lunch when you've forgotten your wallet than to get busy pedestrians to drop a dollar bill in your cup.

The episode with the guy that talked to machines had to rank up there, as well. Playing a tape of machine sounds and having the guy interpret what they were saying was a nice touch. Turns out machines don't have much regard for humans. They keep your spare change intentionally and really are more likely to "break" when you need a job done quickly.

"Tomorrow Show" with Tom Snyder Greatest Hits
With Elton John, Stephen Spielberg, Johnny Rotten, Bono and "The Edge" from U2, Cheech and Chong, Alfred Hitchcock, Charles Manson, and Muhammad Ali. (more)

I was trying to find a video of Akroyd's parody of Snyder from SNL, but didn't see any. Great stuff though!

Ivan Seeking said:
With Elton John, Stephen Spielberg, Johnny Rotten, Bono and "The Edge" from U2, Cheech and Chong, Alfred Hitchcock, Charles Manson, and Muhammad Ali. (more)

I was trying to find a video of Akroyd's parody of Snyder from SNL, but didn't see any. Great stuff though!
Those were great! There must be some!

Ivan Seeking said:
I found one, but it had been removed due to copyright violation.

Apparently some/most SNL stuff, like Akroyd's impersonation of Snyder is still under copyright.

Ivan Seeking said:

I remember staying up to watch the Johnny Rotten & Keith Levine interview. They were being total a-holes, but I thought they were so cool. I didn't know Tom Snyder at all, and so I totally took him for another "establishment" minion deserving all of the rudeness he got. I just watched it again 27 years later, and boy it looks different now.

Then I watched Johnny Rotten on Judge Judy! Oh my lord...

Another one that sticks out in memory was a guest who I think was a rock star... certainly a sex idol for the ladies. Snyder asked him: "Why is it that when women see you, they want to jump in the sack and have a good time, and when they see me, they want to sit, have a cup of coffee, and talk?

1. Who was Tom Snyder?

Tom Snyder was an American television host and news anchor, best known for his late-night talk show "The Tomorrow Show". He also hosted "The Late Late Show" and was a news anchor for NBC and CBS.

2. How did Tom Snyder die?

Tom Snyder died on July 29, 2007, at the age of 71, due to complications from leukemia.

3. When did Tom Snyder's career in television begin?

Tom Snyder's career in television began in the 1960s, working as a news anchor for local stations in Philadelphia and New York City.

4. What was Tom Snyder best known for?

Tom Snyder was best known for his talk show "The Tomorrow Show", which aired from 1973 to 1982. He was known for his casual and conversational style of interviewing, and for his signature sign-off, "Fire up a colortini, sit back, relax, and watch the pictures, now, as they fly through the air."

5. What is Tom Snyder's legacy in television?

Tom Snyder's legacy in television includes his pioneering work in the late-night talk show genre, as well as his influence on other talk show hosts such as David Letterman and Conan O'Brien. He is also remembered for his distinctive voice and on-screen personality, which made him a beloved figure in the world of television.

Back