Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tone Bar Question

1. Jun 1, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

I am an industrial design student and currently i am trying to design an electromechanical doorbell. After looking at the existing electromechanical doorbell, the chimes are all very big. I am just wondering what is the minimum size of the tone bar for it to be able to produce an audible sound?

Thanx for your help

regards,

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2008 #2
    Have you formed any opinion about why tone bars are the size they are? Have you researched sound wavelengths? And, have you looked at the differences in mounting between quarter-waves and half-waves? What would be the highest frequency sound you would want to use (note: look at samples of audiograms and then check out why foghorns have a low pitch)?

4. Jun 1, 2008 #3
    Hi tvp45,

thank you for the reply..

yea the sound i expect to be around 50db. I do not think making a doorbell chime at a size of 6 x 3 cm using tone bar will produce a sound that loud.

5. Jun 1, 2008 #4
    You're mixing up intensity and pitch (though, of course, they are somewhat linked in this case). What FEA packages do you use? That is probably the simplest way to design tone bars.

6. Jun 1, 2008 #5
    I am sorry, but what is FEA packages? :shy:

i am so lost in all these technical bits..
    :(

7. Jun 1, 2008 #6
    FEA is Finite Element Analysis, is a program for your computer to analize how materials respond to their environment. (That is a very simple and limited answer)

From the questions youa re asking, I ask you:
    What is sound? What is this entity that you detect in your ears and what are its two primary attributes?

The first follow up is: How do things make sound? Start with a speaker diaphram. How does it produce the sound that your hear? By writing out the answers to those questions (rather than just thinking about them), you will progress towards your goal.

8. Jun 1, 2008 #7
    It would help me if you say a little bit about your backgound and educational level. When I saw Industrial Design student, I sort of saw you as similar to those students here at CMU and answered at an appropriate level for them. I was obviously wrong, so help me out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?