Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tone Deafness

1. Sep 18, 2016 #1
    Why are some people tone deaf? I read that there is a neural disconnection between two sections of the brain, but what causes this disconnection? Does this disconnection occur over time by chemicals acting on the neurones? Or are people born simply without the connection?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2016 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Sonuvagun, there does seem to be a physiological basis for it - an actual missing piece of the brain.

"In nine of ten tone-deaf people, the superior arcuate fasciculus in the right hemisphere could not be detected, suggesting a disconnection between the posterior superior temporal gyrus and the posterior inferior frontal gyrus."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_deafness

"The arcuate fasciculus (Latin, curved bundle) is a bundle of axons that forms part of the superior longitudinal fasciculus. The arcuate bidirectionally connects caudal temporal cortex and inferior parietal cortex to locations in the frontal lobe."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcuate_fasciculus

Essentially a bundle of axons connecting Broca's area with Wernicke's area.

4. Oct 18, 2016 #3
    But how exactly is there an entire piece missing? I mean, is it something to do with having no codes for it in one's DNA due to some sort of mutation? Or that that area is so underdeveloped that it is considered missing?

5. Oct 18, 2016 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I wondered the same thing.

6. Oct 19, 2016 #5
    And the opposite, do people with perfect pitch have some extra mass in their brains? I have heard you can be trained to have perfect pitch but don't know anyone personally who has learned this gift.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted