Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tonight's NOVA is on Creationism.

1. Feb 10, 2009 #1

turbo

Gold Member

It starts at 8:00 Eastern here, and should be a pretty interesting show. Work with Creationists or related to some? You might want to pay attention to this show. Hopefully, NOVA's treatment will be in-depth and not reek of outright nay-saying and dismissal.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2009 #2
    NOVA here in DC is about Kilimanjaro.

4. Feb 10, 2009 #3
    I didn't know you were also in DC?

5. Feb 10, 2009 #4
    I am too! But I'm a minor player in the PF community :)

6. Feb 10, 2009 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

NOVA here in Houston is about fractals.

7. Feb 10, 2009 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The standard OPB [PBS] in Oregon has the Nova about Creationism at 8 PST. But that's on Direct TV which doesn't show the other three stations now available as a digitial broadcast... I guess the point being that PBS is now broadcast on multiple stations in many areas, with optional programming that might include NOVA.

8. Feb 10, 2009 #7

turbo

Gold Member

RATS! It's a really good show, so far.

9. Feb 10, 2009 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In his inaugural address, our president promised to restore science to its rightful place. I guess they don't want him to find out about the Creationist show.

10. Feb 10, 2009 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Eggo

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/id/program.html

11. Feb 10, 2009 #10
    Oh, I've seen this about a year ago.

12. Feb 10, 2009 #11
    It's good to know I'm not the only DC (sub)urbanite on PF. Actually, I've read of one now and then over my years on the forums. Lots of Beltway Bandit physicists, it would seem.

13. Feb 10, 2009 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  14. Feb 10, 2009 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

15. Feb 10, 2009 #14

You can find the rest from there...IMO much better then downloading each clip.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  16. Feb 10, 2009 #15
    Give them 39 lashes.

17. Feb 11, 2009 #16
    The point they were trying to make on the show, and in the trial (I believe) is that the flagellar motor is not an example of irreducible complexity, rather than to claim that "that was how it evolved". I could be mistaken, it's been a while since I watched the program.

18. Feb 11, 2009 #17
    With a flagellum?

19. Feb 11, 2009 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's been over a year for me too, but if I recall correctly, they specifically mentioned the toxin secretion system as a precursor organelle to the flagellum. Whether that was what was actually said in Kitzmiller or was just an oversimplification produced by PBS for the sake of TV-friendliness is something I know nothing about.

20. Feb 12, 2009 #19
    Or it could be that that was the theory at the time, and the information on wiki was realized later. Could be any number of things, and I don't have time to try to look it all up. If anyone else has more information, feel free to share.

21. Feb 12, 2009 #20

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Insofar as the legal case was concerned, I don't think it wasn't the science that was pivotal, so much as the ability to show that the Penguin and People book itself had evolved in representing Creationism in earlier drafts and discovering passages that had been changed in wording to intelligent design.

With a clear trail of evidence that the manuscript had been re-purposed to express the Creationists own evolving thought on how to wedge it into curriculum, the creationists failed because of their own failure to design their legal position intelligently. They simply made it too easy for the Judge to identify the violation of the Establishment Clause. (That of course and the perjury on the part of some of the witnesses trying to forward the case. Courts are predisposed to discard all of such testimony.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook