Tonsils are just once upon a time gills

• Thread starter PRodQuanta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the tonsils, the appendix, and eustachian tubes. The tonsils are related to gills during development, and eustachian tubes are important for ear, nose, and throat surgery.
PRodQuanta
I just came upon a story on how our tonsils are just once upon a time gills that came about during evolution. It said that at one time, every land dwelling species came from the water, and that we were one of these species. Have you heard this story?(about the tonsils, not about coming from the sea) Have you heard any other type of phenomena about useless body parts, such as the appendix?

Paden Roder

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't remember the source, but someone speculated that the appendix was the vestige of some larger structure that was needed to digest items in the diet of early humans/homonids.

The uvula, or whatever you call the finger that hangs down at the back of your mouth? Supposedly it triggers nerves to close off the breathing tubes so that the food that is about to drop out of the mouth won't head the wrong way.

Not sure about the tonsils, after all, they are functionally and structurally lymph nodes . Don't know how lymphatic tissue can be a remnant of fish gills, which I believe aid in the fish's respiration (through countercurrent exchange?).

As for the uvula initiating the cascade that closes the epiglottis over the trachea, I doubt it, since that part of the soft palate (uvula and part of the soft palate) , is resected during sleep apnea surgery, ( a procedure called uvulopalatopharyngeoplasty (UPPP)) and these patients are not aspirating food into their trachea left and right. it does play a role in closing off the nasal cavity when swallowing (so you don't get food, fluids in the back of your nose) so a skillled surgeon who can cut away the right amount of tissue and leaves behind enough to continue that function is a must!

Last edited:
Not sure about tonsils, but the appendix is homologous to the cecum in other animals. The cecum aids in digestion of fibrous plants. It's pretty large in rodents and horses, for example, that eat a lot of plant material.

My history teacher likes to talk a lot. The tonsil deal was one of his "Think about it" statements in class. I guess that kinda proves him wrong.

Paden Roder

Look up text on embryology. Human babies have gill slits, which are closed prior to birth. Not sure if the tonsils are related to these slits?

Nautica

nautica said:
Look up text on embryology. Human babies have gill slits, which are closed prior to birth. Not sure if the tonsils are related to these slits?

Nautica

I think you are talking about the pharyngeal slits and they become the eustachian tubes.

so what's the story on these?

Paden Roder

eustachian tubes are what give the ear nose throat surgeons a lot of business...kidding aside, they are the tubes that drain the middle ear into the throat. Children are born with small, narrow eustachian tubes, so when they get a viral infection, fluid tends to build up and get infected since their eustachian tubes drain inefficiently compared to adults. ...that's why kids have more middle ear infections. Sometimes, it becomes so problamatic, "tubes" have to be placed so they can drain the fluid accumulation in their middle ear. Adults can also develop eustachian tube dysfunction as these passages narrow with debris from long standing infections, allergies etc. Thus, some adults have to have myringotomy tubes placed as well.

Yes, But I was not sure if there were in relation to the tonsils early in developement, that would be similar to that of gills/gill slits.

Nautica

Thanks adreniline. All very good information.
Paden Roder

nautica said:
Yes, But I was not sure if there were in relation to the tonsils early in developement, that would be similar to that of gills/gill slits.

Nautica

Negative.

Aychamo

1. What is the theory behind "Tonsils are just once upon a time gills"?

The theory suggests that during the course of evolution, the gills of fish have transformed into the tonsils of humans. This is due to the fact that both organs are located in similar positions in the body and have similar functions of filtering and protecting against harmful particles.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support this theory?

While there is no concrete evidence to prove this theory, there have been studies that have found similarities between the development and function of gills in fish and tonsils in humans. However, more research is needed to fully support this theory.

3. Why do humans no longer have gills if they were once present?

As humans evolved and adapted to living on land, gills were no longer necessary for survival. The development of lungs and the ability to breathe air allowed for the gills to become obsolete and eventually transformed into the tonsils.

4. Can tonsils actually function like gills in any way?

No, tonsils cannot function like gills. While they may have some similar functions, such as filtering particles and helping to fight infections, they are not able to extract oxygen from water like gills do in fish.

5. Are there any other organs in the human body that have evolved from different organs in animals?

Yes, there are many examples of organs in the human body that have evolved from different organs in animals. For example, the human appendix is thought to have evolved from the cecum in herbivorous animals, and the structure of the human hand has evolved from the paws of primates.