Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Too complex to figure out

1. Jul 6, 2004 #1
    I have one big headache that is connected to math. So the problem is about internet speed. Let's say it's 256_kbps. My internet provider says that the speed agrees with proportion 4:1 (my_country:abroad). Please help me to figure out my final speed in my country (in kbps) and abroad. There are many thoughts, but what is the most correct. Thanks...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2004 #2
    "The internet speed" is 256 kpbs where? In Lithuania? Suppose then that the internet speed "abroad" is x. Then 256/x = 4/1, which gives x = 64 kbps.

If "the internet speed" is 256 kpbs abroad, and the speed in Lithuania is y, then y/256 = 4/1, which gives y = 1024 kpbs.

4. Jul 6, 2004 #3
    It wouldn't be so complex if I knew your question.

5. Jul 8, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have a proportion of "my_country: abroad= 4:1" and assert that "it's 256_kbps". Okay what is IT? Is that the speed in "my_country" or is it the speed in "abroad". You CAN'T use a proportion like that to find BOTH!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?