Bush Jokes at Burns' Fundraiser in Montana

• Thread starter Tsu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jokes
In summary: Notes are private! recommender none votes 2 # times read 1 owned purchase location condition format Audio CD actions viewcheckbox position cover title The Catcher in the Rye author Salinger, J.D. isbn 0316058627 isbn13 9780316058621 asin num pages 241 pp avg rating 4.02 num ratings 1,726,895 Heidi's rating liked it my rating 1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars5 of 5 stars add to shelves review I thought this book was interesting. Holden Caulfield is a very troubled teenage boy. He is not only unhappy with his life, but he also has a I thought this book was interesting
Tsu
Gold Member
Too Funny!

This was just TOO FUNNY not to share! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

President Bush on Monday gave Montana Sen. Conrad Burns a boost, drawing Republicans to a fundraiser where supporters paid $10,000 to have their photo taken with the president.

But before he endorsed Burns' re-election bid, Bush took a quick jab at the plain-spoken Republican.

"I kind of like being on the same platform as Conrad Burns because he makes me sound like Shakespeare," said Bush at the Madison Hotel fundraiser.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060328/NEWS01/603280302/1002 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"The taxes we cut are working, . . ." Bush said. Ah, that doesn't sound like Shakespeare.

I wonder if the president understood the implications of telling folks that compared to himself (Bush), Burns makes Bush look intelligent. :rolleyes:

A case of dumb and dumber?

Is it true that Bush claimed last week that he did not like to invade Iraq? :grumpy:

Bilal said:
Is it true that Bush claimed last week that he did not like to invade Iraq? :grumpy:

Please don't hijack this thread and turn this into a political discussion. This started out as a light-hearted, fun poke at Bush. Don't drag it out of that.

Zz.

I even found that hillarious:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I always wince when Bush speaks "off the cuff"

<he said wHAT??>

Hail to the Chief (2001)
words and music by John McCutcheon (using actual quotes from GW Bush)

The election of George W. Bush made us realize that Dan Quayle was a man way ahead of his time. Based entirely on W's statements and speeches.

I was born in West Texas, pretty near California
Far away from Dad's home in DC
When I'm talkin' 'bout myself and
They're talking 'bout myself
All of us are talkin' about me
Now some may retort to personal attacks
Take the high horse then claim the low road
But I'm not revengeful person
I'll simply respond with this ode

When I delivered the State of the Budget Address
I offered a question or two
How can a man still put food on his family
Will the tollbooth to the middleclass become more few?
It's time to make the pie higher
This ideas sure to resignate
This is no time to be subliminable
It's a time to unificate

If there's more trade, there's more commerce
And we'll bring this solution to an end
Even if your business is Hispanically owned
If you speak French or Mexican
We're working for a hopefuller country
No longer vulcanized
Where humans and fish can coexist
And each act civilized

I think we agree, the past is over
Still we're held hostile everywhere
Today we're not so sure who "they" are
But still, we know that they're there
No longer inoculated from what is coming
With a foreign-handed foreign policy
Keep good relations w/ Kosovoans and Grecians
And resist emotionality

We know reading is the basics of learning
And learning -well - I forget the rest
But teach a child to read and he or her
Will sure pass a literacy test
So I ask you, "Is our children learning?"
Will we tolerate failed subsidation
Or will this be where wings finally take dream
Not a cufflink of federalization

So if you're tired of the politics of polls and of principles
It's time that you join this campaign
We're looking for women who while serving our country
Never the house will they stain
Where our priorities is our faith
Where a troop can house his family
We'll find power to power the power of the power plants
No, you'd best not misunderestimates me

And yes, Bush actually made those statements. :rolleyes:

Sung:
With every word and every breath
Our language dies a slow, sad death
Hail to the Chief, let's give him hail
Part Yogi Berra
Part Dan Quayle

Charlottesville, VA 2001

(source - http://www.folkmusic.com/record/r_chief.htm#Hail%20to%20the%20Chief%20(2001))

Astronuc said:
Hail to the Chief (2001)
words and music by John McCutcheon (using actual quotes from GW Bush)

I was so "in the mood" for this today. Do you own this album? Sounds funny.

Bush should come with a disclaimer.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, I have the album. :biggrin:

There are some other good tunes on it, too!

Quayle is still funnier.

Astronuc said:
Yeah, I have the album. :biggrin:

There are some other good tunes on it, too!

Wish that site had some demo's. Let me do some checking...

Try this site -

http://www.folkmusic.com/f_mp3.htm [Broken]

Thanks to pattylou!

Astronuc said:
Try this site -

http://www.folkmusic.com/f_mp3.htm [Broken]

Thanks to pattylou!

Thank you, and pattylou too.
What's worse is this was circa 2001.:eek:

Astronuc said:
"The taxes we cut are working, . . ." Bush said. Ah, that doesn't sound like Shakespeare.

I wonder if the president understood the implications of telling folks that compared to himself (Bush), Burns makes Bush look intelligent. :rolleyes:

:rofl: I think that's why it's funny. What was he actually referring to anyway? A Montana accent compared to a Texas accent? But, yeah, I just love it when people say things that have a double meaning like that and they don't even realize it. :biggrin:

While speaking at the Euro economic summit, Bush drove right to the heart of the problem with the French: "...they don't have a word for entrepreneur".

Astronuc said:

What about those who voted for him?! :eek:

Ivan Seeking said:
While speaking at the Euro economic summit, Bush drove right to the heart of the problem with the French: "...they don't have a word for entrepreneur".

Myth.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/bush.htm

I have the news clipping on the refrigerator!

don't know, the BBC is still citing the claim
http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/fivelive/bushisms/quizengine?pagerType=pages;pagerData=1: [Broken]

But the BBC attributes the comment to The Times on 9 July, 2002. :rolleyes: The question is whether or not a Times reporter actually heard that and is quoting Bush, or if they got it from a reliable source/witness.

It wouldn't surprise me if Bush believed or said that.

That's the key to urban legends: They have to be believable. This is certainly believable. :biggrin:

The history and propagation of that particular (false) rumor is traced in the link I gave, which apparently no one glanced at.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/bush.htm
Snopes said:
...According to scuttlebutt that emerged in the British press in July 2002, President Bush, Britain's Prime Minister Tony Blair, and France's President Jacques Chirac were discussing economics and, in particular, the decline of the French economy. "The problem with the French," Bush afterwards confided in Blair, "is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur."

The source was Shirley Williams, also known as the Baroness Williams of Crosby, who claimed "my good friend Tony Blair" had recently regaled her with this anecdote in Brighton...
Malvern, Jack. "Bush and Blair."
The [London] Times. 9 July 2002 (p. 18).

meh...

Who says that Snopes is more reliable than the original source?

I think the Washington Post is more reliable than the London Times. The July 10 article referenced basically debunked the Times article.

Of course, I'd say the burden of proof here is on whoever claims the remark was made, as I have not seen actual evidence of that.

But this is getting too serious for GD...

rachmaninoff2 said:
I think the Washington Post is more reliable than the London Times. The July 10 article referenced basically debunked the Times article.

Of course, I'd say the burden of proof here is on whoever claims the remark was made, as I have not seen actual evidence of that.

But this is getting too serious for GD...

The source was Shirley Williams, also known as the Baroness Williams of Crosby, who claimed "my good friend Tony Blair" had recently regaled her with this anecdote in Brighton.

Lloyd Grove of The Washington Post was unable to reach Baroness Williams to gain her confirmation of the tale, but he did receive a call from Alastair Campbell, Blair's director of communications and strategy. "I can tell you that the prime minister never heard George Bush say that, and he certainly never told Shirley Williams that President Bush did say it," Campbell told The Post. "If she put this in a speech, it must have been a joke."

Hardly a definitive debunking...

Anyway, if not a Bushism then worthy of being so. :biggrin:

Last edited:

1. What were some of the jokes that Bush made at the fundraiser in Montana?

During his speech at the fundraiser, Bush poked fun at himself and his administration, saying "I'm sure you've heard some of the jokes about me before. Probably some of them aren't even repeatable in this room."

2. Was there any controversy surrounding Bush's jokes at the fundraiser?

Some people criticized Bush for making light of serious issues and for not being respectful to the office of the presidency. Others defended his use of humor as a way to connect with the audience and make light of his own mistakes.

3. Did Bush's jokes have any political undertones or messages?

Some of Bush's jokes seemed to have political undertones, such as when he joked about his approval ratings being so low that he was "beating [his] Democratic friends." However, others were simply light-hearted and self-deprecating.

4. How did the audience react to Bush's jokes at the fundraiser?

The audience at the fundraiser seemed to enjoy Bush's jokes, laughing and applauding throughout his speech. Some attendees even cheered and gave him a standing ovation at the end.

5. Did this fundraiser have any impact on the political landscape at the time?

While this fundraiser did not have a significant impact on the political landscape at the time, it did provide a light-hearted and entertaining break from the intense political climate. It also showed a more relaxed and humorous side of President Bush that was not always seen in the media.

Back