Is Age a Barrier for Graduate Studies and Scholarships?

• Thread starter manoskats
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studies
In summary, the speaker is a student studying Physics in Greece and will be graduating after 7 years, which is below the department's average. They are also worried about their age affecting their chances of getting into an above-average university with a scholarship, but others suggest that their life experience may actually benefit their application. The speaker's family is also facing financial struggles due to a recent accident, but they are determined to pursue their dreams and may need to find a way to make extra money. The speaker also mentions the possibility of being considered a "mature student" and their concern about their age potentially being an issue for some universities. However, others assure them that their experience and extended time in undergraduate studies should not be a problem for their graduate
manoskats
Hello all,this is my first post here.
I am studying Physics in Greece and after 7 long years I am finally approaching graduation.
That's right,seven!
My first 3 or 4 years pretty much went to waste,as I couldn't escape the mentality of most of the students here.(7 years is actually well below the department's average)
But then I decided to focus on my studies and now I will be graduating with a decent grade of (almost) 8.Also my thesis (I think you would call it "major subject"?) is under an internationally acknowledged professor and could get published.

I would like to take the gre and apply for american universities,but I am worried that I am "too old" to get into an above-average university with a scholarship (I need it because my brother just had a terrible accident and a lot of money will be going to medical bills)...
Could you give your opinions and insight on my chances?
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Age shouldn't have any affect on your application. In fact, in anything, it may qualify you for "mature student" status if the schools you're looking at have such a thing and this would give you a number of advantages in that more weight is placed on "life experience" in your application.

As nice as a scholarship is, if you and your family really need money, grad school is generally not a good place to look for it.

Well,my brother escaped danger and will go on with his life,even though it will never be the same again.But the worst thing I could do would be to give up my dreams because of what happened to him,he might feel responsible for that.So I will apply for grad school and IF my family can afford it I am going,perhaps I will need to find a way to make some extra money.

Anyway,thanks for the reply and your concern.
I never considered this "mature student" status you mention before.Does someone else think my age could be a problem for some universities?

If you were applying to do undergraduate studies in the UK you'd be old enough now to be considered a mature student. Since you're applying for grad school, i'd have thought the only real concern is that your degree took so long, but I'm pretty sure a lot of grad students are much older than 21/22 (i will have spent 5 years at undergraduate level by the time i finish and then could well take a year out before grad school (were i to apply)... that's 6 years, only 2 less than your 8, and i don't think there'd be any problems there)

1. What are the benefits of further studies?

Further studies can provide numerous benefits, including the opportunity to gain new knowledge and skills, enhance career prospects, and increase earning potential. It can also open doors to new job opportunities and improve critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.

2. Is it too late for me to pursue further studies?

No, it is never too late to pursue further studies. Many people go back to school later in life to advance their careers or to pursue a different field of interest. With various flexible learning options available, such as online courses and part-time programs, it is possible to balance studies with other commitments.

3. Can I afford further studies?

The cost of further studies can vary depending on the program, institution, and location. However, there are many options available to help finance your education, such as scholarships, grants, and student loans. It is also worth considering the long-term benefits of further studies in terms of career growth and earning potential.

4. What are some challenges of pursuing further studies?

Some common challenges of pursuing further studies include managing time and balancing other commitments, such as work and family responsibilities. There may also be financial constraints and academic pressures. However, with proper planning and support, these challenges can be overcome.

5. How can I choose the right program for further studies?

Choosing the right program for further studies depends on your interests, career goals, and personal circumstances. It is essential to research different programs and consider factors such as curriculum, cost, and flexibility. It can also be helpful to speak with academic advisors or professionals in your desired field to gain insights and make an informed decision.