1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Too Late? Redux

1. Jun 5, 2009 #1
    Link to the original thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=222143

I hope the moderators of this excellent forum will forgive me resurrecting this thread over a year after the last post. For anyone interested, though, I want to share my progress over the last year.

In May I looked around my city for potential Universities (of which there are three major ones, plus the ubiquitous community college). The conundrum into which I fell is quite amusing in retrospect, but at the time enraged me to no end.

The two larger, more prestigious Universities both rejected me out of hand, because they both had age floors on applying mature students and neither would accept a GED for admission UNLESS the applicant qualified as a mature student. I met every other requirement for mature students...I'd been out of school for five years at that point, I had a job and a wife and all of my own bills to manage with no parental assistance. But I was twenty years old. My options in both cases were to either go to community college, attend the Universities' own upgrading courses, or wait until I met the age requirements for mature matriculation.

Instead I took the fourth option, and was accepted into the smaller, less prestigious University under academic probation. This was not the only price I had to pay; due to small class sizes and conflicting schedules, I was not able to pursue physics as an option in these first two years, thus shifting my focus to mathematics and computer science. Right now I'm working toward a B.Sci. in Mathematics with a CS minor, and my overall GPA is 4.171 out of a possible 4.3 (the latter being an A+ in every course attended).

That answered my first question. Partially with the help of the advice I gained here, I have achieved what I thought was impossible for me. My next question, however, is: Where do I go from here?

My current school is a foot in the door of academia, true. However, I cannot help but feel I would be foolish to pursue the second half of my undergraduate education here. What are the benefits and drawbacks of switching schools partway through undergrad? Would it put grad school applications in detriment? Would I be accepted into a physics or math/physics program with no prior physics credits if I wished to transfer?

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted