1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Too much math?

1. Dec 15, 2008 #1
    Do you think that taking Calculus II and Linear Algebra in the same semester is too much? Or should I be fine? How hard is Linear Algebra?

EDIT: I can't take them the same semester I just found out, do you think it is wise to take LA in a short semester over the summer, like 4 weeks?
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2008 #2
    In my experience, Lin. Alg. was pretty easy... you can probably handle it with other courses, or it'd probably be great as a summer course.
  4. Dec 15, 2008 #3
    Linear Algebra was one of the few math courses that didn't require me to make difficult leaps of logic, i.e. bashing my head against the wall until I went "Aha!" It was all mostly straight-forward.

It's a very useful class, though.

EDIT: In a short amount of time? I'm not sure. The material wasn't super challenging, but I remember there being a lot of it in my class. And linear algebra is way too important to gloss over if you want to do physics.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  5. Dec 15, 2008 #4
    If you plan on going to grad school for mathematics make sure you spend the appropriate amount of time learning linear algebra the right way. You will be lost in a first course of Algebra without having the basics down.
  6. Dec 15, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How can two courses be too much to handle in one semester?
  7. Dec 15, 2008 #6
    This fall i personally took: Calculus II, Linear Algebra( a first undergrad course) and Abstract Algebra (a first undergraduate course).

I think you should be perfectly fine.
  8. Dec 15, 2008 #7
    It would have been these two along with two others, over the point is moot now. As a physics major would I do myself a disservice to take LA over a short 4 week term?
  9. Dec 15, 2008 #8
    In the semester that just finished, I took honours multivariable calc, honours linear algebra, and differential equations. I still can't say how well those turned out though since the results aren't out.

Funny, for me, my linear algebra was by far the hardest of the three. I don't "get it" as much as the other two, plus my prof totally sucked. I fear for my mark in Linear Algebra.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?