Navigating the Overwhelming World of College Mathematics

• Thread starter DavidSmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary: It's like a recipe for a cake. You don't need to know the ingredients, but you need to know how to put them together. In summary, although there is too much mathematics for a college student to learn, it is still possible to learn it all with proper instruction and practice. However, the increased difficulty in learning this complex material has led to changes in the curriculum over time, moving away from more traditional courses in calculus, algebra, and geometry to more modern topics.
DavidSmith
I have determined that there is too much mathematics for a college student to learn. Almost any textbook you try to grasp will likely contain century old math andwith the repaid pace of ever more complicated math begin introduced it is impossible to learn it all.

We have exceedingly complicated topological and abstract problems that are taught in the major universities. Folding surfaces on other surfaves.

Then there is tripple integration of complex air flows and vector spaces and otehr stuff

Physics news on Phys.org
being a math major would have been sweet a couple hundred years ago

yes learning all of a field is nearly impossible, this is why specialization is necessary

DavidSmith said:
I have determined that there is too much mathematics for a college student to learn.
That's a good thing. If you learned it all, then there's be nothing left to learn, and nothing new to develop. :tongue:

Because of advances, curriculum changes as well.

I remember looking at an old course catalogue from my college [which has a master's program].
There were three advanced courses of note:
"Maxwell Equations in rectangular coordinates"
"Maxwell Equations in cylindrical coordinates"
"Maxwell Equations in spherical coordinates"

Needless to say, the emphasis has shifted away from those aspects...
[and those particular courses are no longer offered]
making room for new topics.. or old topics presented in new ways.

robphy said:
Because of advances, curriculum changes as well.

I remember looking at an old course catalogue from my college [which has a master's program].
There were three advanced courses of note:
"Maxwell Equations in rectangular coordinates"
"Maxwell Equations in cylindrical coordinates"
"Maxwell Equations in spherical coordinates"

Needless to say, the emphasis has shifted away from those aspects...
[and those particular courses are no longer offered]
making room for new topics.. or old topics presented in new ways.
ha now all three of those are in one good E&M course

This post makes me think a little. You say there is too much math to learn, but just how much math is there? Does anyone know what the "most difficult" math is to learn? To many, calculus is "the end." They don't think about how much further you could go with it. How far does math go?

I understand that eventually it just becomes mind-numbingly complex with equations (as in those that could be used in statistical projections and large civilization simulators). What is the most complex concept/topic to learn in math? Is there some kind of math that, if understood, one is said to be a mathematical genius or something?

to your questions starting from last:
1. Is there some kind of math that, if understood, one is said to be a mathematical genius or something? No.
2.What is the most complex concept/topic to learn in math? Well although it's subjective, but for me I had last week an exam on calculus2 and a week before i had an exam in logic, i found the proofs in logic longer than calculus 2 and more interesting.
3.for what you understand it does become more complex, but still if you take the time to learn it and absorb it then it will come to you as natural as the sunshine (although the sun is not there to last forever, or so they tell us (-: ).

Difficult maths... is what's at the frontier. The most difficult maths I've yet come across is Alain Conne's Noncommutative Geometry. That really is difficult. But even there, I wouldn't say that understanding requires "genius". As it happens, as maths becomes more difficult, the equations usually get simpler, though probably with more symbols, and typographically interesting stuff. The way it works is that the abstraction level gets continuously raised, so that very soon, it's no longer possible to describe what's necessary with equations.

well, ofocurse you don't need the equation itself, but the equation itself is some kind of abstraction by its own.

1. What makes college mathematics different from high school mathematics?

In college mathematics, the focus is more on abstract thinking and problem solving rather than memorization. The concepts are more complex and students are expected to have a deeper understanding of the material.

2. How can I keep up with the fast pace of college mathematics classes?

It is important to stay organized and keep up with the material by attending classes regularly and reviewing notes and assignments regularly. It is also helpful to seek help from professors or tutors if needed.

3. What are some strategies for studying and understanding college mathematics?

Some helpful strategies include practicing regularly, breaking down problems into smaller steps, and seeking help from peers or professors. It is also important to review and understand the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing formulas.

4. How can I overcome math anxiety?

Math anxiety is common, but it can be overcome by building confidence through practice and seeking help when needed. It is also important to have a positive attitude towards math and to remind yourself that making mistakes is a part of the learning process.

5. Are there any resources available to help with college mathematics?

Yes, most colleges offer tutoring services and study groups for math courses. There are also many online resources such as Khan Academy and Mathway that provide step-by-step explanations and practice problems. Additionally, speaking with professors or teaching assistants can also be helpful in understanding difficult concepts.