Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Too much omega 3?

1. Jun 25, 2007 #1
    I know modern society is lacking an adequate omega 3 intake. They claim that we get a 10:1 to 20:1 ratio of omega 6:eek:mega 3. But if it was reversed and we got 10 to 20 times the amount of omega 3 to 6, what would the side effects be? I am trying to find any article or study done showing this, but I cannot find anything, mainly because I doubt many people have this concern.

I was wondering if any of you knew anything about it.

Thank you :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2007 #2

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

which is an omega-3 overview article from a journal.

One of the points in the article is that large amounts omega-3 can cause
    poor gylcemic control, increased potential for internal bleeding due to reduced clotting. It recommends 3g of these fa's maximum per day.
    US FDA article on health claims and excess consumption:

This article:
    Simopoulos AP, Leaf A, Salem Jr N. Statement on the essentiality of and recommended dietary intakes for omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids. Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids 2000;63:119-121.

Gives daily values. It also notes that eating available foods like nuts, seafood, some whole grains, provides a good balance of omega-3 vs omega-6.
    The article recomends about 3.0g total per day of various omega-3, balanced against 4-5g of omega-6 (ratio about 1.5 : 1).

It would be hard to get the kind of imbalance you are discussing without taking refined (ie., pretty much straight from the chemistry lab) oils.
    Plus, the bad values you cite are from the Western Fast Fodder diet we all love to hate. It doesn't mean everyone consumes that diet - even in the USA. The mediterranean diet, for example, is good for a balanced intake of the fa's in question.

In short - don't overdo omega-3's.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?