Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Too Much Rain and Flooding!

1. May 15, 2006 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I hope some of PF members (like turbo-1 and Chi Meson) in Maine, NH and Massachusetts are OK!

Rain, Swelling Rivers Threaten New England

:surprised

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060515/ap_on_re_us/new_england_flooding

I think parts of CA and MI have also received significant amounts of rain, and possible flooding.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2006 #2

turbo

Gold Member

My wife and I are fine - we didn't get deluged like very southern tip of the state, and we live on a hill anyway. It was actually a fairly nice day here yesterday. We've a courting pair of broad-winged hawks in the area and every time they come through here, the songbirds shut up immediately. We've got pairs of phoebes, white-throated sparrows, robins, chickadees, goldfinches and purple finches all over the property, and it sounds like a jungle until the hawks show up. I'm kind of torn - I love raptors and would like to have them nest on the property, but I also like to see and hear the songbirds. A rose-breasted grossbeak showed up a couple of days ago, and I hope he stays - what a beautiful, musical song.

4. May 15, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Glad to hear you're spared the flooding. I hope others are alright.

We had bluebird pop into our yard yesterday and grab some insect/worm from the ground. We see them and grossbeaks occasionally.

Titmice, chikadees and mourning doves are abundant year round here, except when we have freezing weather. We now have several pairs of goldfinches and purple finches, and the odd nuthatch.

Robins are present, especially after the lawn in mowed.

I think the owls have moved further north. I don't hear them as much as at 1-3 am as I did a few weeks ago. :biggrin:

5. May 15, 2006 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm actually in Connecticut, but Jeez! I'm seing pairs of animals wandering about.

My basement is dry! I think I've had the ultimate test by now.

6. May 15, 2006 #5

Astronuc

Well CT is getting in some parts. I have a friend who lives close to the Thames. I am waiting so hear how he did since they were getting continuous rain the last time I heard.

7. May 15, 2006 #6

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hah! you have two friends close to the Thames (pronounced "Thames"). I'm in Groton which is on the east side of this great river. (OK, "great river" is a stretch. How about "mediocre estuary"?)

8. May 15, 2006 #7

cronxeh

Gold Member

Harvard kids get washed up :biggrin:

9. May 15, 2006 #8

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A crew joke, eh?

10. May 15, 2006 #9

Astronuc

My friend is in Norwich! You're practically neighbors. I need to get over there sometime - maybe soon actually. :cool: :biggrin: I'll let you know.

11. May 15, 2006 #10
    its flooded really badly here in new hampshire. my friends house is completely submerged and tons of roads are washed out. i'm going to go help my friend now, her animals are stuck in the house and the entire neighborhood has been evacuated. almost every river here is to the brink or already flooded and we still have at least another day of rain. there's evactuation warnings everywhere. my dad's work had the basement and first floor evactuated, and he said there's just water all over. worst flood in half a century, and more to come.

12. May 15, 2006 #11

Astronuc

Gale, how about your house?

Be careful!

And let us know how you make out.

13. May 15, 2006 #12

cronxeh

Gold Member

I shutter to think what kinda animals she has in her house.. and for what purpose.. knowing you Gale.. I mean ... uh..

14. May 15, 2006 #13
    wtf.... so yesterday I checked the weather and it said that it will be sunny everyday for the next week..... yeaaahhh, it looks like it is about to rain... heavy clouds and winds and all

15. May 15, 2006 #14

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wetlands

encroaching on my backyard:eek:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  16. May 15, 2006 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Possible flooding in california??? pffffffffff

17. May 15, 2006 #16
    Rain, Rain, go a-way. Don't come back a-nother Day.....................................okayyyyyyy

18. May 15, 2006 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Fresno weather pisses me off. We have no spring. It's raining, pouring, thunderstorms one week, 90-100 degrees the next.

19. May 15, 2006 #18

turbo

Gold Member

We had some more rain today, but nothing like the people in york county have gotten. I almost said "nothing like the POOR people in York County" and about had to stop from choking since most of the wealth of the state is concentrated there. Anyway, a lot of roads are flooded, some smaller dams are suspect, and houses in low-lying areas are flooded, even if not in danger of destruction. We will hang on, and will recover. Probably the only people who will collect on flood insurance will be those "poor" people in Kennebunkport, like George Bush I.

20. May 15, 2006 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Geez, how did those insurance companies know this was coming? Didn't we have a thread in politics not long ago about the insurance companies dropping flood coverage in the Northeast?

Gale, I hope you're okay and you were able to get your friends' pets out safely.

We've had pretty steady rain since Friday (the storms seem to mostly pass to the north of us here, but we've been getting our fair share). Other than starting to get tired of 50 degree weather in May, and the long walk from the parking lot to my building in the rain, I'm glad for the rain. I just planted my tomato garden on Thursday, and was a bit worried about getting it watered really well...I can gladly say it has gotten a thorough ground-soaking now. :biggrin:

21. May 16, 2006 #20
    Yep pretty soggy in michigan now too. Today is day 7 of rain, and no sun, people are getting really cranky.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?