Navigating High School for a Medical Career: Calculus, Time Management & More

In summary, the speaker is a high school student planning to go into the medical field and is currently in year 3. They are considering a science major and feel confident in their abilities in science courses. They are concerned about the workload in their upcoming year 4, which includes English, Chem 12, Physics 12, Bio 12, Advanced Functions, Calculus, Philosophy, and Active Living. They have questions about time management and the future requirements for becoming an MD. They also ask for an explanation of what calculus is. The expert suggests setting mini-goals for studying and explains that calculus is a form of math used to study change. They advise the student to develop good study habits now to prepare for a potentially heavy workload in
StupidGenius
I'm planning to go into medical field, so I'm thinking a science major right? Right now I am in year 3 high school. Math isn't my greatest but I must say I'm decent but in science(I've only take chem 11) I think I'm above average. Now year 4 is quite near (after this summer) and these are my courses; English, Chem 12, Physics 12, Bio 12, Advanced Functions (math), Calculus and vectors *adv. function pre. req.*, Philosophy, and Active living (gym.)

Is the course work too much? In one sem. the easier I can have is English, Philosophy, Math 12, and Gym. Next semester I will pretty much die; Physics, Calculus, Biology, Chemistry! And for one thing I don't know anything about Calculus! Bio and Chem are required, Physics is recommended.

In short: What the heck is calculus? Is this too much for one to handle? Tips on time management? And in the future what am I looking at before becoming an MD.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Physics, Calculus, Biology, Chemistry" - Is this high school or college? For college it may be much especially if you do not have decent study habbits.

"In short: What the heck is calculus? Is this too much for one to handle? Tips on time management? And in the future what am I looking at before becoming an MD. "
For Calculus at high school level it will probably be differentiating and Integration (or atleast that's what it was at my high school).
For time management, I suggest to set minigoals of things you want to accomplish for any given day/week. This helps me stay on track and to prioritize things I need to do. Try to be realistic.
For the time before an MD (or DO) you are looking at four years of undergrad, four years of med school and then however long the residency requirement is for your choosen field.

Highschool... I have a lot of extracurricular activities, like after school stuff but never mind that. Can you explain what calculus is because the wiki version isn't that friendly.

StupidGenius said:
Highschool... I have a lot of extracurricular activities, like after school stuff but never mind that. Can you explain what calculus is because the wiki version isn't that friendly.

Well, from Wikipedia, "Most basically, calculus is the study of change, in the same way that geometry is the study of space." That seems fairly accurate. If you mean something else, please be a little bit more specific.

My suggestion is, while in high school try to master the art of productive studying.

StupidGenius said:

Calculus is the type of math that Newton invented to properly describe his laws of physics.

It really isn't that bad... It's just a few logical steps.

I can understand that a heavy course load in high school can seem like a lot of work - especially when you have friends that have an easier go of it. The one piece of advice I can offer is that if you plan on going into the sciences or even pursuing medicine, the workload won't get any easier, so it's best to develop the proper habits now, rather than playing catch up when you're in your second year of undergrad and realizing that you can't just read over your notes the night before an exam in order to do well.

As for calculus, Flat's definition captures it in essence. At the high school level, you'll be introduced to limits, the concept of differentiation (which you can think of as mathematically determining the slope of a tangent to a given curve), and integration (calculating the area under a given curve). Much of how physics is expressed at higher levels requires an understanding of these concepts. They allow you for example to determing the electric field that results from a given distribution of charge, or to relate force to a change in momentum.

Ultimately, I wouldn't worry too much about not knowing anything about calculus before you've taken an introductory course in it.

Physics, calculus, biology, and chemistry? Sounds like heaven to me. At least you don't have any "rhetoric" or "English" classes.

1. What is the importance of taking calculus in high school for a medical career?

Calculus is an essential subject for anyone pursuing a career in the medical field. It provides a strong foundation in mathematical concepts that are used in medical research and practice, such as understanding rates of change and optimization. Additionally, many medical schools require applicants to have completed calculus as a prerequisite.

2. How can I manage my time effectively while balancing high school and preparation for a medical career?

Time management is key when it comes to balancing the demands of high school and preparing for a medical career. One strategy is to create a schedule and prioritize tasks based on their importance. This can help you stay organized and ensure that you are dedicating enough time to both your studies and preparation for a medical career.

3. Are there any extracurricular activities or experiences that can help me prepare for a medical career in high school?

Participating in extracurricular activities related to the medical field, such as volunteering at a hospital or shadowing a physician, can provide valuable insight and experience. Additionally, taking advanced science and math courses, such as AP or honors classes, can also help prepare you for the rigor of a medical career.

4. How can I maintain a strong GPA while taking challenging courses for a medical career?

Maintaining a strong GPA while taking challenging courses for a medical career can be tough, but it is possible with good time management and study habits. Make sure to stay organized, stay on top of assignments, and seek help from teachers or tutors when needed. It is also important to prioritize your health and well-being, as a well-rested and healthy student is more likely to perform well academically.

5. What resources are available to help me navigate high school for a medical career?

There are many resources available to help students navigate high school for a medical career. Your school's guidance counselor can provide guidance and support, and there are also online resources and programs specifically designed for students interested in pursuing a medical career. Additionally, reaching out to medical professionals, such as doctors or professors, for advice and mentorship can be beneficial.