A Career Change at 26: Am I Too Old?

In summary: I'm 42 and completed a BS in math and physics and started a masters in engineering at the ripe age of 42. I'm now working on my doctorate and making a pretty good living doing it. :)
terry81
Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I'm after a bit of advice and hopefully this forum may provide me with a consensus.
Over the last couple of years I've become really interested in physics and after toying with the idea for sometime and continually deciding I'm too old, have finally decided to embark on a BSc Physical Science degree with the Open University.

I'm 26 years old and would like to have a career in physics. I do not have any experience, however I'm fully prepared to do the Masters and more once I have completed my degree. I should mention that I am intending to complete my OU degree in less than 4 years by taking almost the maximum allowed credits per year.

Am I too old for this career change to be a serious endeavour?

Regards
Terry

Physics news on Phys.org
26 is NOWHERE near too old. I saw a guy graduate in engineering when he was in his 50's. Good Luck to you! Also, remember that there is a difference between a "physics' degree and a "physical science" degree. Make sure you are signing up for the one you want and not the other.

I say to you go for it. You don't wat to be looking back and thiank about what could have been. Also, 26 is not old at all. Are you up to par on your math?

Yeah, 26 is nothing.

I started my BSEE at 26 and am currently in my 3rd year. Like G01 mentioned, I see guys older than me all over the place.

My best friend since 7th grade's mother went back to school at 45 after he had graduated high school. She went from making $20k a year and hating life to making >$100k and loving what she did.

What a terrible world this would be if 26 was too late to change the direction of your life.

A number of years ago, I had an 86 year old man in one of my classes. He died one week before graduation and they presented his diploma to his widow. Was that "too late"? No, he enjoyed the last years of his life more by going to college.

Likes Cassi0peia
I started back when I was 23, thought I was too old as I had to start out in intermediate algebra. Glad I stuck with it though, it seems my maturity at the time gave me an edge against other students. Didn't have my parents to pay for everything, so took everything more seriously. Anyway, don't think 26 is too late. There have been people in their 40s in my classes.

G01 said:
Also, remember that there is a difference between a "physics' degree and a "physical science" degree. Make sure you are signing up for the one you want and not the other.

Not to get off topic to much, but G01 what is the difference?? I never heard of 'physical' science before :confused:

How long does an undergrad eng degree take on average, 4yrs?

BEng Honors is min four years. Of course, you can take longer if that's to much.

Another vote for not too old.

Do take some time and make sure you understand what you'll be doing after the degree though. People's perceptions of physics and the reality can be wildly different.

Absolutely not. Also, quit toying with it, you'll just get older. ;)

renigade666 said:
BEng Honors is min four years.

Note that the OP is probably from the UK, where bachelors degrees take 3 years full time study.

terry81: I enrolled in college at the age of 30, completed an associate's degree, and am now one year away from completing my bachelor's at the age of 35. I'm also considering a 2 year master's program after that. No, 26 is nowhere near too old!

Dissonance in E said:
How long does an undergrad eng degree take on average, 4yrs?

Yeah, in the US at least. http://www.ece.utexas.edu/undergrad/ee06-08.html my university's four year plan for EE. It can be done in three years if you take two 9 hour summers and one 12 hour summer (governments, english and maybe an elective in the 12 hour summer is not totally unreasonable).

Last edited:
I finished by BS in math and physics at the tender age of 42. I'm now 45 and getting my masters in nucear engineering (probably finish next year) and then I may proceed on to one on physics, or straight to phd.

Daveb,
where are you taking your masters?

daveb said:
I finished by BS in math and physics at the tender age of 42. I'm now 45 and getting my masters in nucear engineering (probably finish next year) and then I may proceed on to one on physics, or straight to phd.

What about your source of income while you are a student? Part time or full time work? What kind? In the field or something else?

thnks guys

Ok you might not be too old to study engineering but what about getting your first job. I mean is anyone really going to pick up a 26 or 28 year old graduate when all the others are 22 ?

Anyone gone to school late and gotten a good job offer ?

RufusDawes said:
Ok you might not be too old to study engineering but what about getting your first job. I mean is anyone really going to pick up a 26 or 28 year old graduate when all the others are 22 ?

Anyone gone to school late and gotten a good job offer ?

Why would it matter if the knowledge and ability is the same? This isn't sports. Also, I do not see why one would put their age or birthdate on their resume. How would they even know? In fact, if I was hiring, I think I would actually prefer people a bit older, as it often (not always) can indicate more maturity.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Rufus has probably hit the nail on the head for me though. That is the bit that concerns me the most - getting a physics based job after graduating, when I will be in my 30s with no previous hands on experience.

Does anyone know of anybody who has acheived this?

Regards

I'm not suggesting anything I am curious. If you want to do it do it. I want to study engineering, I already have a business degree - which I cannot use because I cannot get a job and I don't want to either. The degree was a mistake but I was too pig headed to admit it back then and I made myself finish.

I work in a warehouse for the last year and a half. I decided I want to try and study engineering because I have wanted to do it since I finished high school but I never did (for various reasons). I've got a lot of retail/customer service experience but no professional experience.

I came here the same as you to find out If anyone older than 25 has reskilled (or skilled in my case) in engineering and been employed without previous experience in the industry.

Theres a guy at my work 36 years old going back to study engineering. There is always the possibility we have not heard of older graduates with no experience getting jobs because they are few in number, not that they are not getting jobs.

My plan is to go through an associates program first. I can pick up some drafting experience while I am at college if I am lucky and tuition is a fraction of the cost. The consequence is that I might have to spend one more year in college if I do not get good grades in the associates degree. The upside is after 2 years I have an exit point and the tuition costs are 10% of the bachelor degree.

I'm justifying this too myself for several reasons, most of them are emotional.

I said if I had studied engineering 5 years ago I would probably have a good job by now. Someone told me that in 5 years time I will be saying the same thing about now.

I have been told that engineering is technique, with hard work you can pick it up.

I'm 24 in 4 years I will be 28. Thats not that old. I should (hopefull) still have a good 20 years of work in me before I really do suffer from age discrimination.

I want to do it - if I feel bad now about not atleast giving it a shot, how will I feel in 10 or 15 years time, when it really is too late.

Make sure you can cut down expenditutes, live at home ? Save lots of money because excessive study can cut down your life time earnings.

renigade666 said:
Not to get off topic to much, but G01 what is the difference?? I never heard of 'physical' science before :confused:

By my understanding and the people I have talked to who have gotten the degree, a "physical science" degree program involves courses in physics and chemistry and they do not take as many upper level courses in either subject. I always thought a good analogy would be the following:

A Physics B.S. is to an Engineering B.S. as a Physical Science B.S. is to an Engineering Technology B.S. Engineering technology is a great field to have a degree in. There is many employment opportunities and good pay, but if you are looking for Engineering, you don't want an Engineering Technology degree. I think the same relationship applies to Physics and Physical Science degrees.

terry81 said:
Thanks for all the advice guys. Rufus has probably hit the nail on the head for me though. That is the bit that concerns me the most - getting a physics based job after graduating, when I will be in my 30s with no previous hands on experience.

Does anyone know of anybody who has acheived this?
Actually, I know of a lawyer who decided to go back to school and get an engineering (MS) degree, without a lot of hands-on engineering experience.

It's doable.

When I recommend someone for employment, it is based strictly on the capability regardless of age.

Starting out late, one needs to look ahead to see what areas are most likely to provide a good opportunity for employment - but then that applies to a high school student or undergraduate looking for a major or grad school.

Originally Posted by renigade666
Not to get off topic to much, but G01 what is the difference?? I never heard of 'physical' science before

"Physical Science" is just a general classification of sciences. The sciences can broadly be separated into physical, biological, or behavioral. Sciences such as Geology, Physics, Chemistry, Astronomy, Astrophysics, oceanography, ... so many others, are PHYSICAL SCIENCES. Those are broad classifications; certainly you could argue about ways to classify paleontology and anthropology or biophysics. For blended classifications, make whatever distinction is needed for the purpose.

A person earns a degree in a specific named science; when someone mentions a broad category of science, he is not specifying a particular specific science. You earn a degree in something like Physics, Chemistry; but when your degree is a physical science, the specific named science in which the degree was earned is not being expressed - but it IS a degree in a more specifically named science such as Chemistry, or Physics, or Geology, or,..., as such.

1. Am I too old to make a career change at 26?

No, 26 is still a relatively young age to make a career change. Many people make successful career changes in their 30s, 40s, and even later in life. Age should not be a barrier to pursuing a new career if it is something that you are passionate about.

2. Will it be difficult to start a new career at 26?

Starting a new career at any age can be challenging, but it is not impossible. It may require some extra effort and determination, but with the right mindset and resources, you can make a successful transition at 26.

3. Are there any benefits to changing careers at 26?

Absolutely! Making a career change at 26 can bring new opportunities, challenges, and growth. You may discover new passions and skills that you never knew you had. It can also lead to a more fulfilling and satisfying career path.

4. What steps should I take to make a successful career change at 26?

The first step is to do your research and identify your interests, strengths, and skills. This will help you determine what career path may be the best fit for you. Next, consider gaining experience or education in your desired field through internships, volunteering, or taking classes. Networking and reaching out to professionals in your desired field can also be helpful. Lastly, be prepared to work hard and stay determined as you make the transition.

5. Is it too late to change my career at 26 if I have already invested time and money into my current career?

No, it is never too late to make a career change. It is important to prioritize your happiness and fulfillment in your career, and if that means making a change at 26, then it is worth it. The skills and experiences you have gained in your current career may also be transferable to your new career, making the transition smoother. Remember, it is never too late to pursue your passions and find a fulfilling career.